Sonos App

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Some systems do allow artist / track searches but Sonos doesn’t - so you just accept that the route is to search for the artist then the song.  99% of the time you get what you want easily.

Actually such limitations are with the service back-end, not with Sonos.

Deezer, for instance, allows for compound searches so “Ocean Goldfrapp” -- or indeed “Goldfrapp Ocean” -- immediately zeroes in on the required track.

I have to agree with everything said here- the Sonos App is awful, unreliable, regularly loses connection with Spotify and Amazon, loses some of the speakers around the house, drops the music during playback. And the interface is woeful. A+ sound quality tied to a D- app. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hmm. Comments to the interface aside, to understand the system better: the app doesn’t loose connection with Spotify and Amazon, nor does it loose some of the speakers around the house, or drops the music during playback. The app is just a remote control for your system. Your system does this, probably caused by troubles with your wifi. You could contact Sonos about this.

Hmm. Comments to the interface aside, to understand the system better: the app doesn’t loose connection with Spotify and Amazon, nor does it loose some of the speakers around the house, or drops the music during playback. The app is just a remote control for your system. Your system does this, probably caused by troubles with your wifi. You could contact Sonos about this.

Yes, agreed, plainly network issues - classic symptoms..

Network issues would not explain why the app freezes, why it often fails to load and why I often see grey bars instead of text. The sound doesn’t seem to drop out when I connect via Airplay, only when accessing music through the Sonos app.  My Wi-fi performs superbly in every area of my house, I’ve tested it.  Excusing poor performance by saying the app is only a remote control is nonsense; if it offers facilities like access to Spotify or Amazon, one should expect them to work. The sound quality is great; the interface is woeful. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

As I understand it the app shows how your system connects to Amazon and Spotify. It looks like it fails to load if it can’t connect to your system. That your wifi works well for other systems is no guarantee for Sonos. Please try and solve this with Sonos.

Network issues would rather precisely explain why the app freezes, as it is relying on a connection between your controller and the app running on the speakers. The ‘controller app’ is merely a presentation layer communicating with the system that runs on the computer in each speaker. If the controller is unable to reach the speakers, it will ‘freeze’. Similarly, being unable to connect with the system running on the speakers, it has no data to display, and you get grey bars.