Skip to main content

Why doesn’t someone make the android phone app do the same things as the PC app? They both show Music Library, SONOS Radio, Amazon Music and TuneIn. But the phone app does not show SONOS Playlists. If I go to on this Mobile Device, I see Playlists, but I get a message that says, No selections are available. There are no instructions I can fin as to how to add to the phone playlists. Please, can someone help here? I would like the playlist I have set up on the PC to show on the phone so I can choose the fruits of my labor. Thank you.

Hi @jshaw42.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. Allow me to help out by asking some questions to better understand what is going on and how to proceed.

• What is the source of the music on the playlist you wanted to play (music library, Apple music, Spotify, NAS, Amazon Music, iTunes)?
  • Where is the music file stored ( computer hard drive, mobile phone, NAS)?
  • The on this mobile device option on music services/sources specifically instructs Sonos to look for music files stored on the mobile phone (Android) itself.
  • On the other hand, the music library option on the music services/sources specifically instructs Sonos to look for the music files stored on a desktop, laptop, iMac, NAS at the time the music library was indexed through Sonos.
  • The “no selection available” means that the Sonos product/room you are expecting to produce the output, was not selected to play music.

Allow me to share with you some guide on how to try if it would work.

*** On the Sonos App installed on a mobile phone ***

• Go to rooms (bottom middle portion of the Sonos app) tap on any room you see.
  • Then go to music services (left side of rooms) select any music services may it be on this mobile device or music library. (by the way, they are both separate options on the music services/sources)
  • select a random music to see if it plays.
  • Once it plays, tap the back icon (top left) and choose a playlist you wanted to play to test if it would play music or generate a message.

*** On the Sonos App installed on a desktop ***

• Select a room on the left column of the Sonos App.
  • Select a music source or music service on the right column and play the music.
  • The selected room should be able to play music.
  • Once the music plays on the selected room, select the playlist you wanted to play on the right column and test if it would play on the same room.

*Important note, any information you see inside the music services/sources “On this mobile device” is not available on the Sonos App installed on the desktop or laptop. However, any information you see inside the music services/sources “music library” is always available on both the desktop Sonos App and Mobile phone Sonos App as long as the desktop/laptop where the music is stored is “powered on/turned on”.

I hope this helps.

Please let me how it goes and keep me posted.

Thanks,

Thank you Paul, for the quick response.

The source is music library on an NAS. Everything will play using either app.

But perhaps I am not being clear. Both apps show Music Library, SONOS Radio, Amazon Music and TuneIn. The PC app shows SONOS Play lists, but the phone app does not.

I have tried your suggestions with no success in showing the SONOS playlist on the phone. I would really like to access my SONOS playlists on the phone instead of having to go to the PC each time.

My Sonos contains the playlists. Tap the star icon on far left of navigation bar 

Sonos playlists are stored on the speakers, not the controller devices.  The apps just give you a view of what is there.  It is just a case of knowing where to look.  

The playlists you would find under ‘on this mobile device’ would be those created on the music app on the phone, and these are nothing to do with Sonos system playlists.