Skip to main content

Apologies if this is a daft question, but although I’ve owned Android-based phones for years, I’ve never really had to understand them as I just use them to make phone calls!

The question: can the Sonos Android app be persuaded to display in landscape screen orientation? On my phone it only displays (by default) in portrait.

Why do I want to know? Because I’m planning to get a small tablet with docking station to use as a remote control, and that can only dock in landscape orientation.

Not that I’m aware of.

That was quick - thanks! I was really just wondering if there was some setting on the phone that was preventing it from auto-rotating, but it seems not!

It’s not really a big issue, as I don’t expect to use it a great deal while it’s sitting in the dock anyway. Would just be nice to be able to see current status without screwing your head round through 90 degrees...

That was quick - thanks! I was really just wondering if there was some setting on the phone that was preventing it from auto-rotating, but it seems not!

It’s not really a big issue, as I don’t expect to use it a great deal while it’s sitting in the dock anyway. Would just be nice to be able to see current status without screwing your head round through 90 degrees...

I haven’t tested on a tablet though...

The Android controller won’t rotate on a phone, but does on a tablet. Some have complained that the ‘Now Playing’ screen in landscape is not the best use of space, since the controls are stacked under the fairly small artwork, but you can optionally display the queue alongside.

Ah, thanks - so it must check the aspect ratio before rotating - it makes sense because a phone display would be too wide and shallow.

Wonder what happens on a phablet? Ok, I don’t need to know the answer to that!