Simple button only hardware controller

• 25 November 2014
  • 10 replies

I'd like to replace my kitchen radio with a sonos player. But there's one thing that is holding me back; I need a phone/tablet to use a sonos player. My radio has hardware buttons and that is a HUGE advantage in a kitchen environment. With 9 fingers messy from preparing food/whatever i can use my one clean finger to press power followed by a channel preset. This is a PAIN as it is today with a sonos system. I know there's buttons on the players, but 1: you cant pick a favorite/playlist, 2: your player(s) might me mounted out of reach.

So; a small hardware unit with 3(ish) preset buttons that also powers on the player(s). Volume up/down and a pause/power off button. You could combine preset button long press with power-off/pause to save a button, but the affordance is a bit bad with this approach (it might be to hard for the average user to find out how to use the feature).
The unit would have to be setup in the mobile/pc app; what playlist/favorite does each preset button play and what players should be used.

Thoughts?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

I what something like this too for my rooms,
just a small battery operated unit that I can stick one the wall next to the light switch.
all i really need is volume up/down/mute so I can adjust volume in each room without needing to open the app. handy when someone is shouting for me to quickly drop the volume, app takes a bit longer.
I was thinking of rigging something up to the buttons on the fount of my sonos amps with a radio operated button control.
but I would rather have an official product so I don't have to open up the units.
all I really want is the 3 buttons from the amp located on the wall next to my light switch
Yes, anything to get away from app based controllers! A small remote similar to Squeezebox would be ideal.
The sonos remote app is a dog if you need to adjust volume quickly (such as in action scene of a movie) or without the need to log into yrou phone, open teh sonos app just to turn the Tv down if the kids are watching TV. Please make a simple hardware volume remote sonos. Volume, on off, Next/previous track. Playlist up down.
Sonos stopped making dedicated hardware controllers years ago, and I very much doubt they'll ever resume such an activity.

If you have an Android phone then make sure lockscreen notifications/controls are enabled and your phone can control Sonos volume from your pocket via the hard buttons. If you really want a dedicated Sonos remote then pick up a cheap SIM-free Android phone and use that.
Or something like this?

Https://www.senic.com although it's called Nuimo or something.

$159...
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Wouw! Been looking for something like this for a while now. Looks great! Hope to see more of it so there will be something to choose in design and price tag :s
Or something like this?

$159...

Amazing - thanks!
Or something like this?

$159...

Amazing - thanks!

Really? I thought $159 for a button was a bit of a joke!

Really? I thought $159 for a button was a bit of a joke!

Yeah, I get your point, but it's not just a button. And you have to pay for the novel idea, the design, and the development and so on and so forth.
If you look up my Logitech Harmony Ultimate One, you will see it retails for $250 - though I bought it online for a much lower price.

Also, I have not bought a Nuimo yet. I will await user reviews, as I agree it is far too much money to put forth purely based on a commercial video.
And I hope the price will drop to the $80 - $100 neighborhood.
But if it works well, I think one will be in my home this or next year.
Problem with The Senic is it only pairs with Bluetooth so requires your phone to be in range to work