Skip to main content

Hello

About a year ago there was a thread about Sonos’ inability to shuffle an Apple Music library.

Edward R (Sonos staff) wrote:

I am afraid that sending 12,000 tracks to the queue is quite demanding of your home network. The reason GPM may allow this is due to the tracks possibly being of a lower fidelity. What Jeff recommended was for testing purposes.

We will be sure to forward this feedback for you, in any case. Many thanks.

I am new to Sonos this week.  I am having this problem, can I assume that the feedback was forwarded but nothing has been done.  Apple Music does not queue the entire library when shuffling songs, so this should not be the issue - Sonos only needs to ask for the next track.

I think that Sonos should reasonably expect that some of their users will (a) be using Apple Music and (b) have large libraries.

Hi @hopeisimportant. Thank you for posting and sorry for the delay. 

To double check a few things, you are referring to a library of music that is being added to the queue?

How many tracks are being added to the queue from the Apple Music service?

Hi Adam

i have >20k tracks in the Apple Music Library. I want to shuffle them. 
I have figured out how Sonos does it - it creates a queue of all the tracks which is probably fine for the majority of users who don’t have huge libraries. But this is ineffi

So now I do have a saved queue of 20k songs but it starts from the beginning each time. So in the end it is simpler to just Airplay direct from Apple Music on my phone. 

I totally understand your reasoning. As it is true that the Sonos system has the ability to add music from multiple music services and by allowing this function to be possible, it gets’s organized in a queue to allow for cross-music service playability. 

I think in your case, using Airplay 2 to cast directly to the speaker via Apple Music would be the best workaround to play the shuffled music.