Serverstack error is not fixed

• 15 September 2014
  • 8 replies

The server stack error keeps happening on a Windows 8.1 microsoft surface pro despite applying all of the fixes listed under http://faq.sonos.com/serverstack. Cannot add music library from this machine, but Windows 7 machine works fine. Diagnostic confirmation # 4008523

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 1
Did you figure this out? I had this issue on a Win7 machine, Win8 machine and now surface pro 3 Win8.1 machine. Why can't Sonos fix this issue?? I have zero library function with my Play5. The instructions on editing the registry are just plain wrong for Win8.1 as the path specified doesn't even exist! Frustrated customer.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Did you figure this out? I had this issue on a Win7 machine, Win8 machine and now surface pro 3 Win8.1 machine. Why can't Sonos fix this issue?? I have zero library function with my Play5. The instructions on editing the registry are just plain wrong for Win8.1 as the path specified doesn't even exist! Frustrated customer.
Hello Silverghozt,

I see that you currently have a open ticket with our support team. If you are pulling the music from a particular computer and receiving a error message on all controllers, this could still be due to a registry issue on the computer that the music is being pulled from. We'd want to take a look at the size of the serverstack.

Please take a look at your email and try the suggestion listed, which is increasing the size again. If you have further issues, please respond to that email and the technician will be happy to assist you. 
I'm running Win7Pro and have 4 Sonos Play5 (Gen2) and have constant problems with serverstack issues. I also have a Boost unit attached. When I had only one Sonos Play5, it worked like a charm, then when I got 3 more, all hell broke loose! I've tried changing the registry five times already (avoiding 33-38), delete my library (which is on an external HDD, but nothing seems to work at all! Every other day, I would have to reboot my PC to clear out any potential PC issues, unplug and replug the power cord from each Sonos Play5 unit...it's tiring and I'm ready to put these units on Craigslist once and for all...so buggy!! FIX IT PLEASE!
hungsternyc,

Wow, that sounds like a lot of issues. May I recommend that when you have any of these, you quickly (within 10 minutes) do a diagnostic, and then come back and post that number here, so the good folks at Sonos can help you figure out what's going on? It really is a great system, when it works.
I have suddenly started having the serverstack problem with my Sonos system. I could not get the music to play and the controller (on my iPad) told me that it could not connect to the library. On closer look (on my PC) it still could not connect so I decided to remove the library and reinstall it. That's when the serverstack problem emerged. I checked for new software versions and upgraded my controller software. I then checked the registry information: the server stack was at 24, so since MS suggested increments of 3, I upped it to 27. Still no success. I tried again upping it to 35. Still installation was not possible. This problem occurred spontaneously - I had not upgraded the OS (Win10) or the Sonos software. Any suggestions?
Badge +1
I have suddenly started having the serverstack problem with my Sonos system. I could not get the music to play and the controller (on my iPad) told me that it could not connect to the library. On closer look (on my PC) it still could not connect so I decided to remove the library and reinstall it. That's when the serverstack problem emerged. I checked for new software versions and upgraded my controller software. I then checked the registry information: the server stack was at 24, so since MS suggested increments of 3, I upped it to 27. Still no success. I tried again upping it to 35. Still installation was not possible. This problem occurred spontaneously - I had not upgraded the OS (Win10) or the Sonos software. Any suggestions?

Hey there pethos, welcome to the Sonos community. There are a few things that can cause you to receive a server stack error. If you have any USB devices other than your mouse and keyboard plugged into your computer, try removing them and then rebooting your computer. You can also try disabling your antivirus as this can also free up stack size. It also wouldn't be a bad idea to increase the stack size to the maximum of 50. If you're still having problems after doing this, use these instructions to submit a diagnostic. Reply back with the diagnostic number and I will do some digging.
Hey there pethos, welcome to the Sonos community. There are a few things that can cause you to receive a server stack error. If you have any USB devices other than your mouse and keyboard plugged into your computer, try removing them and then rebooting your computer. You can also try disabling your antivirus as this can also free up stack size. It also wouldn't be a bad idea to increase the stack size to the maximum of 50. If you're still having problems after doing this, use these instructions to submit a diagnostic. Reply back with the diagnostic number and I will do some digging.

Right, thanks Gus. I am running from a Toshiba laptop with my music on an external disc. I removed the disc usb and a memory stick - the only other usb is the receiver for my wireless mouse. Then I rebooted the computer, reconnected the disc and started Sonus - worked a treat! The library loaded quite normally. Many thnaks! Do you think it is worth increasing the stack size when I have time just in case?
I have been on with a Sonos agent for a long time, who was working remotely on my PC, trying to get this sorted and the only solution he gave was to move my music on to my PC hard disk. This means I have lost most of my hard drive to Sonos music....what a pain. I really need a solution to this problem which Sonos should have the solution to.