Skip to main content

Sonos, what the heck? Why can’t I set night mode to come on at night? It’s called Night Mode. It has a picture of the moon. It’s been a feature request on here for *years*.

Why can I still not schedule night mode to come on at night?

Hi @SecretAsianMan, welcome to the community.

Unfortunately, there’s no plan to add this feature yet.

I’ll pass this along as a feature request and it will be up to our engineers to decide to add this feature.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

This is kind of a crazy omission. If you search the forums you’ll see so many requests for it that Sonos could have easily implemented the feature a hundred times over in the time the company has spent responding to these requests. 

If the product team is unable to spare the 2 hours it takes to build this feature, can they at least provide some IFTTT or similar extensibility so we can build it ourselves?

Hi @SecretAsianMan, Yes, we have Sonos available in IFTTT.

You visit our page in this link: https://ifttt.com/sonos

All available commands will be listed there.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

It appears the Sonos IFTTT integration does not support actions for either Night Mode or for Speech Enhancement.

I don’t suppose there might be any plans to add this? Or if Sonos wants to open source the IFTTT integration I’ll do it for you.

Hi @SecretAsianMan, currently there are no plans to add more features for IFTTT at the moment.

I have passed this along as a feature request and It will be up to our Engineers to add more features or open source for IFTTT.

However, It may take a while for them to work on feature requests as there are on-going issues and Bug fixing.

In any case, I’ll pass this along as well.

If you have other concerns or questions, feel free to reach out.

Just to note that if you know how to use a command line, then the soco-cli utility allows simple control of night mode. It’s easy to use its scheduling capability (wait_until, etc.) to enable and disable night mode at specific times.

https://github.com/avantrec/soco-cli/blob/master/README.md

Example:

> sonos wait_until 22:00 : lounge night on : wait_until 07:00 : lounge night off : loop

You can do it with the app SonoSequencr buy only with premium account.

Thanks for the suggestions. I don’t want to run some machine in my house just to schedule something Sonos should have built ages ago, but glad to know it exists.

I suppose I can pay for some third party app to fill this gap.

Still just can’t believe that Sonos would ignore such an obvious and often-requested feature for years. For pete’s sake, just open source the IFTTT implementation and I’ll do it for you.