Question

'Secret' Sonos-compatible Android apps

• 1 November 2016
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
I just found that a random German TV Android app (ARD Mediathek) allows audio streaming to my Sonos. It has a logo that is similar to the Chromecast logo, but it includes not only Chromecast but also 'Sonos Media Renderer'. Clicking on that allows me to stream the sound from the app to my Sonos.

This is actually pointless, as I can't stream to my Chromecast at the same time, so I get the picture on my phone and the sound on my Sonos.

But there must be other apps where this function is useful.

I messaged Sonos about this and they just confirmed 'yes, this is possible' but didn't seem willing to tell me which other apps do this. I suppose it's probably not the most complete Sonos experience so they don't promote it, but it is still pretty cool.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

There are actually loads of apps that will do this using DLNA. The standard "HTC Connect" app on my Android phone will do it, for example. As you suggest, it's more a curiosity than of practical value. From memory it couldn't cope with stereo pairs and definitely not multiple streams.
Userlevel 2
Well, it was pointless for the particular app I was using, but I can see plenty of other uses - streaming Audible or music videos on YouTube. I'd love to know which other apps can do this.

I did look at DNLA apps on Google Play but it usually wanted a rooted phone. I rooted my old phone but the app in question didn't do what it was supposed to.
I don't think the HTC app would stream embedded audio like YouTube. Not sure I tried. But with a smart TV and Playbar one can play YouTube audio purely using Sonos and the Sonos app anyway.
It is worth noting that unless one has a paid YouTube Red subscription, Google only allows YouTube audio to be played if the video is playing somewhere. This is so that users cannot dodge the advertising.
I messaged Sonos about this and they just confirmed 'yes, this is possible' but didn't seem willing to tell me which other apps do this. I suppose it's probably not the most complete Sonos experience so they don't promote it, but it is still pretty cool.
It's accidental. Sonos is not DLNA compliant, but the less discriminating DLNA control points pick up Sonos players as media renderers. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. You certainly won't get any technical support from Sonos.
Badge +1
Hi famico, welcome to the community. Ratty's answer is correct, some applications will be able to push audio to Sonos through DLNA but it's not something we support as your mileage may vary per application. Since UPnP streaming is pretty generic, you will find a lot of apps with this capability but we don’t keep track of which apps work and which ones don’t.