Same search works in Spotify but not in Sonos app

• 15 February 2023
  • 4 replies

I frequently want to search for music from specific record labels. In Spotify this is very easy. I can search for label:universal and then I will see music from Universal Music.

If I use the Sonos app (on Android in my case) the same search criteria returns nothing.

I would expect the Sonos app to allow me to do the same search as I can in Spotify.

Is this a bug/feature missing in the Sonos app? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It is not a question of allowing or disallowing by Sonos. Spotify decides what to offer in the  Sonos app. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

It is not a question of allowing or disallowing by Sonos. Spotify decides what to offer in the  Sonos app. 

This is most notable for Podcasts: Spotify have explicitly preventing decent podcast support from within the Sonos app. They have left some vestigial data in their presentation map for podcast playback, but the actual ability to list it and search for it has been removed.

To the OP’s question, Spotify could easily add a “Label” category to their search pmap data if they wanted to expose this as a true search ability.

But the query does work in Spotify. Not sure what you mean?

The search should work as ng APIs (which I assume Sonos are using)

The servers that Spotify uses to feed your Sonos are completely different than the servers used to feed the application that Spotify provides. As a result, Spotify has complete control over what data can be sent to the Sonos system, and chooses not to expose “everything” to Sonos users. Your speculation as to why they choose to do this is as good as anyone else's.