Skip to main content

I have a small Sonos system, consisting of two Play5's (Gen 1), configured as a stereo pair and installed in a large living space, and a recently acquired One SL, installed in an attic.

The Play5 installation has performed flawlessly for several years. Its Music Library resides in two shared music folders on my wifi network: a NAS drive and a MacBook Air.

When I acquired the One SL, I followed the procedure for setting up a split S1/S2 system. First I reverted the Play5's to their original status. Then I set up the One SL, using the S2 controller app running on my iPhone. As part of that setup, I pointed the Music Library to the two network shares, and that setup recognized both shares and allowed me to successfully index the library.

The S2-based One SL system is currently running perfectly and can access all music on both shares.

I then successfully reinstalled the two Play5's, using the S1 controller app, also running on my iPhone. I linked them as a stereo pair, also successfully.

But I'm having trouble setting up the Music Library for this S1 system. The S1 controller has successfully recognized the NAS-based share and allowed me to index the library. And the S1-based Play5 system is running perfectly, insofar as it can see and play all of the NAS-based music.

But my attempts to add the Mac-based share to this system are consistently failing. In the S1 app, I specify this share EXACTLY as I did in the S2 app -- same path, username, password, etc. (And exactly as it was specified originally, before I reverted the Play5's to their original status.)

The error message is: "Unable to add the shared folder xxxxxx to your Music Library (1002)"

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Try this:

Under System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall, add Sonos and SonosLibraryServer and have them set to “Allow incoming connections”.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2058?language=en_US

I wonder why you split your system?

Re why split the system: Because Sonos states that ‘One SL can only be added to S2 systems.’ And since Play5 Gen 1 can only be on S1 systems, I see no other approach (besides shelling out a lot of $$$ for Play5 upgrades).

GuitarSuperstar: Thanks for the suggestion; unfortunately it didn’t solve the problem. The firewall on the MacBook Air was off; I turned it on and added an entry for ‘Sonos S1 Controller’ as you suggested. There was no ‘SonosLibraryServer’ available for a similar entry. A subsequent attempt to add the required Mac share, using the S1 Controller app on my iPhone, failed just as before.

However, I then attempted to add the share using the S1 Controller app installed on the MacBook Air. (I don’t normally use that app -- the MacBook is my wife’s and she doesn’t like me mucking around with it.) And that attempt was successful.

To me, this points up how complicated Sonos has made this entire process. Think about all the ways our library could be set up and managed:

Library for S1 system:

1. S1 Controller app on my networked Windows 10 laptop
  2. S1 Controller app on my iPhone
  3. S1 Controller app on my wife’s iPhone
  4. S1 Controller app on my wife’s MacBook Air

Library for S2 system:

1. S2 Controller app on my networked Windows 10 laptop
  2. S2 Controller app on my iPhone
  3. S2 Controller app on my wife’s iPhone
  4. S2 Controller app on my wife’s MacBook Air

As the person responsible for initial system setup, I use options 1 or 2. Then, if music needs to be added or removed and the library re-indexed, I use options 1 or 2 if it’s my music, and my wife uses options 3 or 4 if it’s her music.

One would think that the setup process would be platform independent. But that’s apparently not the case. Recall that I was able to set up the S2 library and both of its shares, using option 2. Yet that same setup for the S1 library, via option 2 and using the same parameters, consistently failed. But it worked via option 4.

Anyway, I think all’s well. Thanks again.

The One SL has a unique SMB implementation has we know has issues with non ascii characters, and maybe other issues to. If you have anther S2 device, trying adding your path with the One SL temporarily powered off to avoid the One SL. Once added and indexed, then power it back up.

Sorry, but as I described, my system is small and I don’t have another S2 device.