S1 controller won't launch after update

• 5 November 2022
  • 18 replies

Badge

I updated the S1 app on my iPod Touch this morning, to version 11.6.1, and now when I try to launch it, the splash screen displays for a few seconds and then it quits. This is a 7th gen iPod Touch that had been running iOS 15.6.1. I noticed there was an iOS update and updated it to 15.7.1: same result. Is anyone else seeing this?

18 replies

Maybe check the free space on the controller device and if not that, then try either an App reset (in Settings/App Preferences), or maybe remove/reinstall the S1 App from the link below and on opening the App, bypass the opening screens, accept the T&C’s and choose to connect the controller back to the ‘existing system

https://support.sonos.com/s/downloads

Hope that works for you.

Badge

Ok, I removed the S1 App, reinstalled it, and tried again. Got a dialog box asking to scan my local system. Tapped OK and it quit. Opened again and got another dialog box asking to connect to Bluetooth. Tapped OK and it quit. Now whenever I open it it just quits immediately.

Maybe next try a reboot of the network/router and speakers and then try opening the S1 App again to see if that solves it. Make sure there is no security/vpn software running on the iPod getting in the way of the connection and perhaps consider a reset of the iOS network settings as another option to try.

Badge

I turned off all the speakers and then turned one of them back on, and restarted the router (a Google Fiber box). Same result. I should have mentioned earlier that an older version of the S1 app on my older Android phone still works fine, and that the iPod is still pretty much stock: I bought it a few years ago specifically to use as a controller with my Sonos system, haven’t done much else with it other than checking the weather.

I’m not sure then🤔?… is the iPod definitely operating on the same WiFi network and same access point as your Sonos system, that’s if you have more than one AP? Make sure the iPod is not on a ‘guest’ network, by mistake, if you have such a network.

You could perhaps try running the setup on SonosNet and see if that makes a difference… just wire one speaker (temporarily) to the router.

If all still fails, then you might be best to speak to Sonos Support Staff via this LINK.

I’m having the same issue, also on an iPod at a business location. Only used to run Sonos. Let me know if you find a solution! 

Badge

As it happens, all the speakers are already wired (it’s an old setup, hence the S1 app), and the iPod is on the same wifi network as the phone that works. In any case, the problem isn’t that the app can’t find the network, but that it quits immediately without displaying any sort of error message at all. But thank you for the suggestions, I appreciate the effort.

I’ll try the Sonos support on Monday.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Try SonoPad from the Store? It works on really old iOS devices.

Badge

When I pull up SonoPad in the App store (had to follow a link from a search in Safari) it says “not compatible with this device.” It thinks SonoPhone will work, though, may give that a try.

This is not an old iOS device, it runs iOS 15 and the App store claims that the S1 app “works with this iPod Touch”. My guess is that Sonos simply didn’t test this version on this device; it may be something as trivial as screen size.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sorry I misread iPod as iPad, yes SonoPhone is the correct choice. It works on pretty much any version of iOS, doesn’t care about S1 or S2 (only the official apps do) and can’t update your system under any circumstances.

Badge

I contacted Sonos support and have now sent them some crash logs. If anyone has an iPod successfully running the current S1 App (11.6.1), that would be useful information, but if your iPod is still on a previous version, I would suggest not updating it.

Badge

On Saturday I received what appears to be an automated email, asking for permission to close the case. I re-sent the original information, attaching the crash logs, and received a reply suggesting that I contact phone support. Which I will try on Monday.

Not sure how “Please call the people you called before, who sent you to us” is a way forward, but perhaps someone in phone support knows how to read crash logs.

Badge

I spend about an hour on the phone with support this morning, not counting the time waiting in the queue, and it eventually developed that this is a known problem. So if anyone has an iPod Touch that has not been updated, I strongly suggest holding off until at least the next release.

If Sonos had a list of known issues, I could simply have checked that, and if there were a mechanism for reporting problems, I could have used that. Instead, I wasted a lof of the support rep’s time that could have been spent with someone she could actually help. But that seems to be the way Sonos wants it.

Any update on this? 

Any update on this? 

I would just keep an eye on the Apple App Store and install any updates and see if they will work with your device, as Sonos rarely give out information on their development roadmap. It’s easier to lookout for those updates.

Badge

Any update on this? 

Sorry, I haven’t heard anything more, from Sonos or anyone else. When a new version is released I will try it and report the results here.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Having the same issue with two iPod touch devices here.

Badge

I just installed the new version of the app, 11.6.2, and it’s working again.