Skip to main content

I recently updated the S1 controller app on my Windows 10 64bit PC. The S1 app launches, shows the interface (including my speakers, playlist, queue), and after 2-3 or so seconds the app crashes. The older version (v. 11.24) worked just fine. I upgraded to the latest version because a dialog popped up urging me to upgrade every time I opened the app. Now I can’t seem to be able to roll back to the working version and the 11.24 version is not available for download.

I spent about half an hour on the phone with Sonos Tech support and after lots of questions and diagnostics the tech support person refused to escalate my ticket to the next level. Instead, he told me it was a probably a Microsoft problem and that I should call Microsoft. There are other threads in the Sonos support universe that document the same S1 crashing problem. Has anyone out there been successful in getting a resolution from Sonos support?

Have you tried completely uninstalling the App and then reinstalling it via this official link?…

https://support.sonos.com/s/downloads (scroll down for S1 App).

On reopening the App, scroll past any opening screens and agree to terms etc; then choose the option to connect to the existing Sonos system.

If you really must have the 11.2.4 version it’s here. If it works it will however nag persistently. 

Thanks for the feedback. I tried completely uninstalling → reboot → deleted all Sonos leftover data files and registry entries → reboot again and then installed the new 11.2.12 version from the download link. No luck, still crashes right away.

Thank you for the link to 11.2.4. I can put up with the annoying update message as long as the app works, which it does.

Will Sonos ever update the S1 controller again and fix the bug?

I have an early Sonos system: 2 connect:amps, play:3, play:1 and a bridge. None of these are compatible with the S2 controller so I’m stuck with S1. At the time I purchased my system it was cutting edge and pretty expensive. I loved it and still do but I no longer love the company.

I don’t think I should have to spend a lot more money to upgrade my hardware just because Sonos took their technology in a new direction and now wants me to migrate to S2. Even with the upgrade “discount” I would have to spend well over $1,000 to be compatible with S2. As as a customer I think I deserve better from this company.

Perhaps see if upgrading/reinstalling the (dot).net framework for windows 10 x64 will fix the issue for you, or/and maybe try running SFC system file checker for windows.

Will Sonos ever update the S1 controller again and fix the bug?

I have an early Sonos system: 2 connect:amps, play:3, play:1 and a bridge. None of these are compatible with the S2 controller so I’m stuck with S1. At the time I purchased my system it was cutting edge and pretty expensive. I loved it and still do but I no longer love the company.

I don’t think I should have to spend a lot more money to upgrade my hardware just because Sonos took their technology in a new direction and now wants me to migrate to S2. Even with the upgrade “discount” I would have to spend well over $1,000 to be compatible with S2. As as a customer I think I deserve better from this company.

The S1 controller has updated fine for me.  And presumably for just about every other S1 user, or there would be dozens, maybe hundreds, of posts about the issue.  I realise that this is of no comfort to you, and I understand your frustration, but your conclusion that this is some sort of attempt to force users to upgrade doesn’t hold water.

I had this issue, tried many things, even downgraded Microsoft .NET to 4.6.2.

Deleted the app, re-installed again 5 times to no avail.

Resolved the issue simply by Right Clicking the shortcut and use Run as Administrator.

Then I chose “Always run as administrator” - no more issues.

Hope this helps :)

By the way, I am running Windows 7 64-bit proffessional (old school).

There are several known things that could do this, but this is on Windows 7 so I have lost the will to type any more with suggestions.