S1 App - "The OS on this device is no longer supported"

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

52 replies

I can only provide information regarding consumer law in Australia. We have a government run body called the ACCC (Australian Competition and Consumer Commission) that is empowered to enforce Australian Consumer Law (ACL). The Sonos company is in breach of the “Consumer Guarantee” and more specifically the  fit for purpose clause.

The following is an extract from the ACCC Consumer Guarantee clause

“Businesses that sell goods guarantee that those goods:

• are fit for any purpose that the consumer made known to the business before buying (either expressly or by implication), or the purpose for which the business said it would be fit for

No where did Sonos ever mention prior to purchase that they will prevent the use of the device in the future for its original intended purpose. This is a clear breach and is enforceable by ACCC law.   

Then seek legal action. Listening to us discuss it won’t change anything. 

I would be willing to wager that any lawyer / barrister worth their salt would look at the terms and conditions you agree to on use of the software and turn you down, but perhaps things are different in Australia, and certainly differing laws may apply. 

My expectation is Sonos has employed their own legal team to be sure that they can’t be prosecuted, but that wouldn’t stop you from trying. And perhaps succeeding, where others have failed.