Skip to main content

Yandex Music got disabled in the Sonos app and turned my Sonos devices into bricks. No announcements, nothing...just a message that the service is no longer available.

I understand that you want to support Ukraine. I get it and there are lots of better ways to do it,  but that has nothing to do with music. Yandex wasn’t even sanctioned by EU nor US.

I loved sound of Sonos from the first time i heard it and i even purchased the Beam without checking that it can’t work over wi-fi/bluetooth.

Bring back Yandex Music! I purchased several Sonos speakers from official sellers to listen to streaming services. And now all these speakers are useless.

Has Sonos  made an official statement about Yandex?  I can’t find anything.  I don’t see Yandex as a supported streaming service, but I don’t know if it was removed or never there. Did you access Yandex or through some other service in the middle?

Has Sonos  made an official statement about Yandex?  I can’t find anything.  I don’t see Yandex as a supported streaming service, but I don’t know if it was removed or never there. Did you access Yandex or through some other service in the middle?

Contacted Yandex. Here is their answer:

"We are already looking into the situation. Presumably, the outage occurred on the side of Sonos. In this case, we can not do anything, alas.

We hope to get it sorted out soon."

And given this message, the removal of Yandex Music was initiated by Sonos.

What should we do to get Yandex Music back?
I bought sonos speaker only because it could play Yandex.
Now it's useless for me.
I'm even do not live in Russia.

Can we get some explanation or official announcement?

What should we do to get Yandex Music back?
I bought sonos speaker only because it could play Yandex.
Now it's useless for me.
I'm even do not live in Russia.

Can we get some explanation or official announcement?

Click the link in the reply above that says “And given this message, e...]”

It's very disappointing. IMHO disabling Yandex Music looks like action against the people not against the war. It's stange to deprive music service of ordinary people just because they are citizens of Russia or just want to use Russians Yandex Music...

It's very disappointing. IMHO disabling Yandex Music looks like action against the people not against the war. It's stange to deprive music service of ordinary people just because they are citizens of Russia or just want to use Russians Yandex Music...

So the statement from Sonos, linked previously, stated that they removed radio stations associated with the Russian state.  Not sure if that applies to Yandex, but if there are any news related channels for Yandex, that would explain a bit.  Probably difficult to allow the music streaming, but block any news coming out of Russia.

Companies do not gain customers from playing politics, they just lose them.

I don’t listen to Yandex here so it is just an aggravation. 

I do use several resources impacted by this foolishness though. My e-mail provider appears to blocking notification messages from my Live Journal accounts. So yes I’m shopping for a replacement there.

Yandex should be removed as until its proprietors issue a public statement disassociating themselves from the illegal war (special military operation 😊) initiated by the Russian Federation against Ukraine. 

Yandex should be removed as until its proprietors issue a public statement disassociating themselves from the illegal war (special military operation 😊) initiated by the Russian Federation against Ukraine. 

In other words it is called Blackmail. You mean that Sonos company is blackmailing another company - Yandex, and Yandex users here act as hostages. Companies should not play in politics they should be above all of this.
Blackmailing is criminal offense in the rule of law and it also looks like the trying to divide people by country of living and language…

I will get what i paid for or get some official explanation on Sonos netpages not just some simple text on message board. Just to avoid another to buy something from those who rules without any legitimate reasons.

Imho

Politics includes agents of economic activity.  There is no legal right involved here. In any event, war crimes trump blackmail, even if that were the case. 

You pay for the hardware and its associated firmware not for any particular media stream. There is no contractual obligation for Sonos to explain anything about the availability of any given media service. 

I used to be a big fan IoT. Everything I use is connected to a server somehow with a centralised service. 

After experiencing sanctions against the Russian state (I’m not russian, but i’m living here) I have come to realise that I can never recommend products like Sonos anymore. It’s not only Sonos actually. Spotify, Netflix etc. you get the point. In the future we will have other conflicts.

It’s all bollocks and politics. Only the user is suffering. Did the american state sanction Yandex music? They didn’t and this all based on emotions of Sonos. Did EU ask Spotify to shut down their service in Russia? No they didn’t. It was Spotify who decided to do that. 

So the end result is that I cannot recommend services proven unreliable and I cannot recommend Sonos anymore, because Sonos as a system is made for interacting with streaming services. If I want good quality music from my own NAS server there are many other brands cheaper out there who works wirelessly in my house. (They aren’t as cool, but they won’t block me based on emotions)

Don’t think this will only affect your sales in Russia. It won’t. The word will spread like a fire, because this is not only about Russia, it’s about reliability. Why do other states by natural gas from Gas Prom? Because they are reliable (EU basically stole 300 billion EUR from Russia, but Russia still adheres to their contracts and continues to deliver gas to thieves). Sonos just proved unreliable. I can imagine Arab and Chinese citizens getting worried about purchasing Sonos equipment in the future. 

Not today, because I also have a life, but I intend to write this message in the other Sonos support forums just to give a heads up for my fellow Sonos users who I believe might soon be in a conflict with US and EU. 

Kind regards
Very disappointed EU citizen. 

This is why I still buy my music on CD or Vinyl or as a last resort I buy a download. I am then immune from this sort of issue and others such cancel culture removing tracks over ironic lyrics. 
IoT is not what it started out being. 

Sonos is within their right to cut any ties with Russian companies, especially since Yandex has ties with people on the EU sanctions list: https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2022/03/16/yandex-head-quits-after-surprise-eu-sanctions-a76952

And if you really believe Gazprom is reliable after leaving their European gas storeages empty during 2021, only allowing to be paid in rubles and that the money on frozen accounts was stolen, you are in too deep already.

The illegal war being prosecuted by the Russian Federation is the epitomy of cancel culture - it cancels the lives of men, women and children under the guise of sham denazification.  It cancels the writ of international law.  It cancels the rights of its own citizens who protest.  It cancels the proud role the USSR held in defeating Hitlerism. It debases the memory of all those who fought against the Third Reich.

If you as an individual wish to access Yandex via your own means, then that's your choice and your business. 

Companies do not gain customers from playing politics, they just lose them.

I mostly agree.  However, on some issues, there isn’t neutral ground to stand on.  Even when neutral ground does exist, it’s often the case that one side or both on an issue see neutral ground as no different then taking the opposite view.

“silence is violence”

“evil triumphs when good men do nothing”

I’m not saying that there is no neutral ground in this case, as I really don’t know the content of Yandex or their relationship with the Russian government, but I certainly wouldn’t assume that neutral ground is available.

In other words it is called Blackmail. You mean that Sonos company is blackmailing another company - Yandex, and Yandex users here act as hostages. Companies should not play in politics they should be above all of this.
Blackmailing is criminal offense in the rule of law and it also looks like the trying to divide people by country of living and language…

I will get what i paid for or get some official explanation on Sonos netpages not just some simple text on message board. Just to avoid another to buy something from those who rules without any legitimate reasons.

Imho

blackmail - the action, treated as a criminal offense, of demanding payment or another benefit from someone in return for not revealing compromising or damaging information about them.

This is not blackmail.  There is nothing lllegal or morally wrong with a company or individual setting setting terms in which they will or will not interact or do business with another company or individual.  And nothing wrong with changing those terms as circumstances change.  You and I may not think the terms are moral in some instance, but the act of setting terms itself isn’t illegal or immoral.

I do agree though that it would be good for Sonos to more clearly state whether they have actively terminated the Yandex service, rather then leave it up to customers to guess.

And it’s just my opinion, but I don’t see a ton of difference between a company saying they don’t want to do business with Yandex and a customer saying they don’t want to do business with Sonos.  Both are taking steps based on their point of view and self interest.  I would be a hypocrite if I said that I was any different.  And I think it’s important to considering forgiveness when whatever the conflict is over, or views change...while never forgetting.

Sonos is absolutely committed to ensuring our platform is never used to spread misinformation and will not permit any unconfirmed, disputed, or false information to be aired on any of our owned channels.

We have audited the list of available radio stations on Sonos Radio and have blocked radio stations connected to the Russian state from Sonos Radio and removed access to the Yandex music service.

We will continue to monitor and update these actions as necessary.

We’re locking this topic for further discussion.