Skip to main content
Hello , I've inhereted a Sonos system in the house I've moved into and I'm having a few problems,

Mainly it plays in the bathroom and they sound great but it has speakers in the kitchen and I don't seem to get them to work.I'm running a sonos connect amp
Hi

Have you grouped the rooms together in the Sonos App>Rooms?
I'm not sure . I don't think so
There are two ways to get music playing in another room, switch to that room and play music in that room, or group the room with another.

To switch rooms, tap the "Rooms" tab at the bottom. Then scroll to the room you wish to switch to and double tap it. Then you can play music in that room.

To group rooms, tap the "Rooms" tab, then tap "Group" on the room you wish to group to (i.e, the room playing the music). Then select the rooms to group and tap "Done". Both rooms should now be playing the music from the first room in perfect sync.
Thanks mate . I'm going to give this a try . It's nice here in this forum . Really nice
I’m replying here as i canot for the life of me figure out what to click on to be able to post my own topic. Stupid visual impairment. 🙂 My question is I have a Sonos system that I had on a Wi-Fi network, have moved to a new state and cannot hook up to a router. If I just reset the iPhone controller software and then connect as if it were a new system, will all of my services be lost? I’ve done this using a Windows controller and nothing ended up happening So I am thinking everything would be all right.
Don't worry about setting up a new topic, you'll get help here.

Unfortunately, In order to update the wifi information on the speakers, one of them must be connected to your router, which you've said isn't possible.

What you don't want to do is do a factory reset on your speakers (which might be what you were implying by resetting the iPhone controller, which wouldn't work). A factory reset of your speakers would erase all of your playlists etc from your speakers, and would return them to the state that you purchased them at.

You've got a couple of potential ways out of this. First, and what I'd recommend, is purchasing what is known as a travel router. They are relatively inexpensive devices that allow you to conect them to one wifi signal, and then it creates its own wifi signal that you can connect to. Most importantly for you, they also generally have an ethernet port available on them. You could then connect the travel router to your current wifi signal, connect the speaker to the travel router, connect your phone and PC to that same wifi signal from the travel router, and be able to set the new data on the speaker(s). Or, of course, you could just set everything up to work on the wifi signal that the travel router has set up, and just leave that going.

The other option is a little more challenging. You could potentially take you speaker(s) to a neighbors, where you do have access to their router, and hook up one of your speakers to their router, and plug in to power the rest of them They would all then show up on the controller (I'm assuming your iPhone), where you could then set the system to recognize your wifi name and password, and then take everything back home where it should (assuming no mistakes were made) be connected as soon as everything is plugged in.

There may be other solutions that the community has. But it's really a challenge, in my mind, if you don't have access to plug in one device to your local router, since there's really no good way of communicating the new wifi information to the speaker.
Not factory resetting my Sonos, but just be setting the iPhone controller. I’ve had to do that before and I didn’t lose any of my settings. What would make this any different?
The new topic button is a bit hard to see, look up in the top right of the forum home page, near your user and the community links. Once you have found it you will have even more frustration getting to the point that your topic is published but that is the way the forum software (barely) works.

The travel router may be something you'll need in any case, if you are on a shared WiFi network anyone also sharing it can control your Sonos gear - no userid/password needed to give you a nice 2:00 AM blast of Black Sabbath just for giggles.
Resetting your iPhone controller can be done at any time, since all the data is on the speakers. But in this case, I wouldn't suspect it would make any difference, since the speakers aren't connecting to the wifi anyway.