Answered

Remove Speaker from Connect

• 2 July 2017
  • 9 replies

Badge
Newbie here.
My parents have Sonos system. Someone very smart set up a couple of speaker zones. (1) bedrooms, (2) patio (3) kitchen. Each of those selections will play between 1 and 5 speakers. I can "group" those selections and play in one, two or three "zones" simultaneously. I am unable to play to only one bedroom.

I believe the system was set up with "connect".

I'd like to remove the master bedroom speaker from the other bedroom speakers so I can play on that one ONLY.

Any suggestions?
Thank you in Advance! Bruce

If you need clarification on any of my terms, please ask. As I said... I'm a newbie and don't have the lingo.
icon

Best answer by ratty 2 July 2017, 08:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

An indirect answer: Each Sonos unit, and Connect is one of different kinds in the product range, can be set up to make just one room or zone - the latter term because one physical room can have more than one zone in it.

Zones can be grouped together in any combination of any two zones, all the way up to all of them. And they can just as easily be ungrouped by unchecking the relevant dialog boxes in the Sonos Controller. Are you able to find your way to the grouping options in the Sonos Controller app?
Badge
I can group zones in the sonos controller, I cannot figure out how to pull one of the speakers out of the zone associated with the bedrooms (I believe all the speakers in the bedrooms are associated to a single zone via a connect)
It seems then that the Connect is wire connected to an amplifier or amplifiers that in turn are wire connected to all the speakers across all the bedrooms. In this case, pulling out wires physically is the only answer.

It ought to be easy to see if all are in fact wire connected by finding the wires running back and forth.
Once you identify the amplifier/s and how these are wired to the speakers, I can tell you if pulling wires can be avoided.
Badge
Kumar - thank you for your reply. I really appreciate your efforts.
Sadly, no hard wires. everything is wireless.

Seems someone from Sonos must have written some documentation for this.... strange it is so mysterious. Why is this so hard? Is there anyone from Sonos listening???
Hang on. This isn't a matter of Sonos not listening. It sounds like a local distribution issue in your home.

Let me see if I understand. You have a single Sonos 'room' (or 'zone') which feeds all the bedrooms simultaneously. Is that correct?

In that case there is equipment/cabling downstream of the 'bedrooms' Sonos unit (whether it's a CONNECT or CONNECT:AMP) which distributes the signal from that one player. You need to locate that and divide off the feed to the master bedroom.

Once you've done that you can add an extra Sonos player/room/zone and control that room independently.
The Connect box will be wired to the mains power. And it will have two wires connected to its output jacks - where do these go to?
Badge
Thank you. I believe I had the architecture wrong. There are wires on these speakers going into the wall. (unlike some rooms where it is completely wireless). More investigation to be done. Thank you for the leads.
bruce
Investigating the wires running from the Connect will probably be a lot easier than those from the speaker end.