Skip to main content

I am still trying to find a remedy for the lost ability to have Sonos read off iTunes/Apple Music on my iPad.  I have songs and playlists on iTunes/Apple Music that I can no longer play on Sonos because (a) Sonos reads only off of Music files on my computer (a MacBook Pro) and (b) Apple tells me I cannot sync iTunes/Apple Music to the Music files on my computer.  

Has anyone figured out how to solve thsi problem?

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/257?language=en_US

Sonos has been playing local content this way from the day it was launched. Probably before the iPad even existed. 

Yes, I remember the time before Apple blocked the ability of companies like Sonos and BlueSound, and probably others,  from accessing music on iOS devices. Fortunately, as John points out, there are many options available. And yes, I complained to Apple, they never responded. As I recall, the point at which they blocked all companies from accessing that data was iOS 11.

Thanks for this reply but being Mr. Inept I have tried this before without success. I can tell Sonos to read any music folder on my computer and Sonos will do so, but I cannot get it to read off Apple Music/ITunes, and because I cannot sync Apple Music/iTunes with any of the music folders on my computer, the music and playlists that are in Apple Music/iTunes but not in my music folder(s) remain inaccessible to me when I use Sonos.  If there’s something I’m doing wrong or some other solution, please let me know. Thanks. 

@Mr. Inept, Apple Music is the music service that requires a subscription; works still fine on Sonos, including uploaded music files into iCloud. Have you tried to Add your music library to Sonos?

Thanks for this but I’m afraid it isn’t working for me either.  I do subscribe to Apple Music but it only helps with music acquired through Apple   Music. The data I have that I can’t get Sonos to read consists of music previously acquired from the iTunes Store as well as playlists. Any suggestions for that data?

I’ve subscribed to Apple Music for three years and I know how the iCloud Library works, it’s equivalent to iTunes Match. The difference between iCloud Library and iTunes Match is that a subscription to Apple Music is required to play your uploaded music files to Sonos.

Turn on Sync Library with Apple Music

Thanks, but can you explain what this means I should do?  I do have an Apple Music subscription, but nothing I am doing is allowing me to have Sonos read playlists and music from my iPad, including music purchased from the old iTunes Store, pre-Apple Music.  I cannot sync those playlists and that music to the music folder on my MacBook Pro, and I cannot get Sonos to read music off of anything but that music folder (the one that doesn’t contain some of the playlists or the music from the old iTunes Store).  

@Mr. Inept, Apple Music is syncing the music files I have stored on the PC with iCloud. I have access to this files and my playlists in the Sonos app via ‘Apple Music  → My Music’. This integration does not support Smart Playlists though.

Apple Music and Sonos

How do I add my Apple Music account to Sonos?