Skip to main content
When I first open the Sonos app on my iPhone, everything works fine. I set the music playing, all good.

However, if, after say two minutes, I decide I want to turn the volume down slightly, I unlock the phone and when trying to access the Sonos app I get the message

'We can't connect to Sonos...let's try a few things'

Usually, closing the Sonos app, turning the wifi off on my phone and then on again, then opening the Sonos app again sorts it, but I have to do this every time and its infuriating.

Anyone else get this?

Note: wifi signal is strong/full throughout, and nothing else that is connected to my phone via wifi has this same issue.

Every time I get a notification saying that Sonos software is going to be updated, I pray its going to fix this but never does.
Hi, GP2222. Welcome to the community. Are you using a WiFi extender or multiple routers? As a test, can you try unplugging this/them? If that doesn't work or if is not the case, not to worry, we can still get to the bottom of this for you. Following an occurrence of this issue, please submit a diagnostic and respond with the confirmation number. This way we can identify the cause. Many thanks in advance.
Thanks Edward.

No, I'm just using a single router positioned centrally in my house, and all my Sonos speakers are fairly close to the router.
Got it. Can we see a diagnostic of your system? Can you try rebooting your router? Thanks.
Hi GP2222

Edward R gave you excellent advice. Here's my two cents :8

Caution: If you proceed with any of my suggestions and they prove not to resolve your issue you'll need to submit another diagnostic.

If turning off Wi-Fi on your phone to re-establish a connection fixes the problem then I'd say it's not Sonos...it's your network. More importantly, since you say you only have the one router...IMO your router is the source.

First log into your routers admin page to check for updates. If one is available apply it and reboot your phone and Sonos. Assuming that resolves the issue then no need to read further in this post. If not then read on....

If your 2.4GHz and 5Ghz bands are not separated your Sonos products are having difficulty locking onto the 2.4Ghz band as your router is switching the bands to supposedly maintain the best overall signal for its Wi-Fi clients. By separated I mean your router broadcasts both the 2.4GHz and 5Ghz under the same SSID and decides which band to broadcast and when.

If you cannot separate the bands the only solution is to place your Sonos in Wired mode connecting a speaker directly to your router via Ethernet. That will setup the SonosNet and all Sonos will connect to it rather than your routers Wi-Fi. If connecting a speaker is not possible you can invest in the Sonos dedicated Boost module ($100-USD) to establish the SonosNet.

Click the link to learn the differences and pro's and con's of Wireless vs. Wired modes: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/support/setting-up-sonos

Cheers!
Edward - I've tried rebooting the router lots of times in the past - doesn't change anything unfortunately.

AjTrek1 - many thanks for taking the time to provide that reply;

I can temporarily wire my Sonos speakers to the router (I bought a 20m ethernet cable to help address Sonos connection issues previously) but it's not viable long-term (the whole point of me buying Sonos was that it was unwired), and I think I'd be pretty ******off if I had to buy extra hardware to make Sonos work. My wireless network is strong in all areas of the house, particularly where the Sonos speakers are located.

You might be onto something with the dual-band thing however- my router does distinguish between 2.4GHz and 5GHz and I can login to the user panel and see which devices on my network are on which band; SonosZP (I assume that's the catch-all term for all 4 of my Sonos speakers?) is on the 2.4GHz band, but I'm not sure if it's permanently 'fixed' onto 2.4GHz?

My internet provider (BT) mentions about the dual-band thing in their help page (http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/~/i-have-problems-connecting-5ghz-and-dual-band-devices-wirelessly-to-the-bt-hub) - is this what you're suggesting I do?
AjTrek1 .You might be onto something with the dual-band thing however- my router does distinguish between 2.4GHz and 5GHz and I can login to the user panel and see which devices on my network are on which band; SonosZP (I assume that's the catch-all term for all 4 of my Sonos speakers?) is on the 2.4GHz band, but I'm not sure if it's permanently 'fixed' onto 2.4GHz?

My internet provider (BT) mentions about the dual-band thing in their help page (http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/~/i-have-problems-connecting-5ghz-and-dual-band-devices-wirelessly-to-the-bt-hub) - is this what you're suggesting I do?

The link explains my theory and is spot on about what to do to make Sonos connect to 2.4Ghz at all times. :)

Cheers!