Skip to main content
I have a 5.1 set up with a playbar, sub & two Play:1's in my living room. My kitchen & dinning from back right onto my living room in an open floorplan. When I listen to music I'd like the rear speakers to act as a separate pair of stereo speakers to fill out the sound in the kitchen & dinning room and thus avoid having to turn up the volume on the playbar.

Is it possible to set up a second profile/configuration that would essentially have my rear speakers appear in a separate room?

I know I can detach them from my living room but I want to setups that I can toggle between.

(and I know that the Sonos simulates 5.1 from a stereo feed but this gives me almost no volume on the rear channels.).

Thanks in advance.
No, not as you describe. You can configure the zone so that when listen to a music source (not through the tv input) the surrounds speakers will play in full stereo. The playbar will also be playing the music and you won't be able to change the volume balance between the playbar and the surround speakers (now in stereo), but the surround speakers will be playing louder and closer to what you're looking for. I have a pair of 3s in my kitchen as surrounds and if anything, I'd want them to be at a lower volume relative to the playbar.
Danny, thanks for the quick response.

That's both helpful & disappointing. I know this set up isn't 100% standard but it doesn't "feel" like it's that unusual. Sonos sure does like to keep things "simple"... disappointingly simple.

While this works I've already noticed that I have significantly less music available to me through Google Music directly on the Sonos compared to when I cast from my phone to my TV (connected to my Sonos).

Oh well - it's still great sounding and that was the main reason I bought it.

Thanks again.
I don't disagree with you on this, and you aren't alone in the request. Even using Amazon, where the music available through Sonos and say a firetv is the same, I'd still like to be able to see the song title, artwork, and possibly lyrics on the tv, without sacrifices stereo sound. That said, there is no way for the soundbar to know it's playing a movie or just playing an audio track. it would have to be a manual switch of sorts, which add some complication.