Skip to main content

Re-ripped music, how to update playlists?

• 12 May 2024
  • 7 replies

A long time ago I ripped all my CDs in a less desirable format (that still played in Sonos). Now I am re-ripping them in a better format with a higher quality setting. The artist, album, and song titles are still the same. But the file names are different. Is there any way to bulk update my existing playlists or do I have to manually delete and then add every song again?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Whatever you update on your music library, with the new app you are not going to be able to reindex your music library. 

Another cock up with the new app I’m afraid. 

I used an iPad that still had the old app on it, and was able to reindex that way. 
However, the new music plus a load of music that used to play just fine no longer plays with new app. 

Nothing wrong with the files, as the old app still plays them. 

I re-indexed my library using the Windows app already. So that issue is irrelevant for this question.

After re-indexing, the playlists reference the non-existent old files rather than the new files. The question is whether the playlists can be updated.

I’d think that unless the file name, including extension and location are exactly the same, Sonos wouldn’t pick them up as being the same track. 

The extensions aren’t the same, that’s the point of re-ripping. I’m looking at the Phonos Universal app, it looks like maybe I can export the playlists, edit them externally, and then import them back in.

Hmm, I guess not. Maybe https://sonosaver.mrupp.ch/ instead.

Although it would be nice to find a free option.

The Phonos iOS app does the export and import. Just a little inconvenient to edit them, but I think that’s what I’m going with for now.