Skip to main content
Question

Radio stations not working

I know it’s down to myTuner and the stupid court decision that we cannot access radio stations from abroad anymore. 

But please add a way that one can play these radio stations through Sonos. Else the whole system is useless for me and many others. 

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Clostridia, welcome to the Sonos Community!

I know that TuneIn had to remove access to a few stations due to licensing or geo-restrictions, this might also be the case with other radio services. 

If there is a specific station you’d like to listen to on Sonos, then you could check out the music services that are available on Sonos, filtering to radio services, then checking if any of those services have the station available. This may allow you to play the station, but if it’s geo-restricted, then you may run into the same issue with other radio services.

I hope this information helps!

Well, it is not in that list. 

I would like to.listen to radioeins Berlin. So I am.now using a Bluetooth radio, making my Sonos expendable. 

It is a pity that Sonos does not allow me to play any webservice through my (android) phone. Strangely my partner can do that with Apple. 

Perhaps your station could give you a link.

Well, it is not in that list. 

I would like to.listen to radioeins Berlin. So I am.now using a Bluetooth radio, making my Sonos expendable. 

It is a pity that Sonos does not allow me to play any webservice through my (android) phone. Strangely my partner can do that with Apple. 

It’s not one of these 

It is one of these (the top one). but they don’t work in the UK. 

using now a £20 Bluetooth speaker instead of my Sonos speakers. Rather frustrating that one cannot just stream any radio stream from the app to the speakers like bluetooth. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

The most frustrating thing with the geo-restriction via the Sonos integrations is there is no problem using the mytuner website, for example, to airplay stations the Sonos radio integrations won’t play. Don’t even need to go direct to the stations website, which also isn’t geo-restricted 🙄

Radioeins is happily playing from mytuner in my browser via airplay from my iPad to 2 different speakers without even needing a login.

yeah, airplay works, but nothing on android. don’t want to buy an apple phone so just that I can use my sonos….

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Can the url to the stream you need not be added to TuneIn via it’s library function? You’d need a free TuneIn account and ad it as a music service to Sonos.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Can the url to the stream you need not be added to TuneIn via it’s library function? You’d need a free TuneIn account and ad it as a music service to Sonos.

Guess it depends what they do if you add a url to a station they already restrict, or whether they ignore where the link goes claiming it’s the users responsibility, which would seem like a huge loophole in the geo-restrictions they apply. 😁

Even without being logged in tunein geo-restricts based on IP.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Since this is a UK problem it would help others if you would try and mention the results here. Please be aware TuneIn will try to steer you to getting a paid account, but careful reading will get you a free account to try this out.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Maybe someone who is willing to create a tunein account just to store a url and name will report back. Having to create an account with an external service I don’t use or need, when previously it was linked behind the scenes without an account, just added to my ever increasing friction list for Sonos.

Why Sonos didn’t just make it part of the supplier contract with Deezer that custom stations could be added to Sonos Radio when they switched from Napster to Deezer as the Sonos Radio service supplier or store them in the Sonos cloud platform but chose instead to continuing using tunein seems a little ridiculous.

The occasions where I do want to test or try things on the few remaining Sonos speakers I have, I just avoid the Sonos inflicted nonsense when it rears its head and airplay to them. My main multiroom system uses airable who haven’t messed up their distribution agreements yet so don’t have any issues providing access to international stations.