Skip to main content

How come Sonos takes away a feature that came WITH the product??? And without even asking their fellow consumers!!! We are the ones who buy their products!!! It’s been months since i can’t play my Itunes music. If i can’t play my music on a Sonos speakers, why would I buy it?

PUT IT BACK.

Wow, really really late to the party. This was not a change made by Sonos, it was a change made by Apple.

Many months ago, Apple made a change to iOS that broke the ability for Sonos to play "from this device". Please refer to the main thread on this, most importantly the first post, which offers and discusses many options, ranging from free to not.

Feel free to rage at Apple, but Sonos is innocent here. 

This change was actually a year ago, and well documented. Very late to the party.

Yea, I went back and checked. August 20 of 2019 was Ryan’s original post based on my records...which can be questionable sometimes, but I’ve changed my cut and paste response. I just didn’t feel the need to ‘edit’ the response to the OP. 

As I recall, however, folks were having issues before the official notification, I’m assuming due to them having updated their iOS versions, since it was Apple that made this change. 

I suppose I should have made mention of BlueSound, who was similarly impacted by Apple’s stance, and also lost their ability to play ‘from this device’, but it seems moot at this point. 

Its true that reports of problems with the feature we going on for a long time before Sonos finally killed it - many people were complaining on tihs very forum. Sonos did a bunch of hacks to try and work-around Apple’s attempts to block background services, but eventually they had to give up, especially after an iOS upgrade (iOS13?) that totally blocked all of their attempts.