Skip to main content
Something great about Sonos is how relevant software is for the system. And saying that, I don't understand the lack of some functionality. Specifically, I'd like to see a Sonos app able to preset groups and volumes for different several situations. When I wake up, I like to group several speakers (6 out of my 11 areas), set certain volume level at each, and start playing some music. It's a long list of steps and I usually decide to forget about it. It's a shame: a house filled with Sonos speakers, quietly ignored.

Currently, there are some third party apps that can do that, but I think this should be part of the Sonos controller. Didn't you choose Sonos at first because of its exclusive functions which are just impossible with other systems? Sound is great, but there are better. There are cheaper systems. There are nicer options. Sonos' real strength is functionality.They should care about stretching their leadership in this area as long as possible, improving the system capabilities through software improvements (that goes for AirPlay 2 backward compatibility too, which deeply disappoints me, but that's another story).

Will I keep purchasing Sonos products? I certainly would like to. But someway, it's up to the brand.

Presets and scenes are part of the system I would like to live with, for many many years.
Hello there, gsades. Thanks for the thoughtful post and feedback. I am happy to forward this along to the team for consideration and feedback. Feel free to keep the conversation going as topics like this help us to make the Sonos experience better over time.

Thanks again!
@gsades Airplay2 actually is backwards compatible with every Sonos device that meets the hardware requirements that Apple set.

As to your main point, it actually is pretty sweet to wakeup to Sonos. I know you were hoping for more than a 3rd party solution, but the Lutron hub actually does this very well. My morning alarm is 3 different rooms turning on to a Pandora station at different volumes, in addition to several lights around the house. (I actually prefer this way over a Sonos app because of the lighting control, but that's just me)

Also, Sonos has recently opening things up a bit with IFTTT (which isn't for everyone) and new APIs I believe. In other words, I wouldn't be surprised to see more 3rd party apps that can do all sorts of things. Still not the same as being something designed by Sonos I know, but there are more.
@melvimbe, Thanks for your input on Lutron! I had similar interest in doing what @gasdes mentioned.

I also happen to have Lutron and I'm happy to say that I have my Sonos working with the Lutron Scenes options and app. I also have it working with Alexa, so I can say “Music Main On” to start it and “Music Main Stop” to stop it.

Music Main is what I called the Scene in Lutron and included four Sonos speakers in my main Living area.

BTW, you need to have added Favorites in the My Sonos in the Sonos App and that is what you select to play. To get started I added a Pandora Station into My Sonos and when I setup the Scenes in the Lutron App I selected it from there.

Works like a champ!!