Skip to main content

There are dozens of posts in this forum related to this issue from as far back as 7 years ago. This should be a very simple addition to the software. I play music from my TV all the time and want to be able to use my Sonos Ones for Full Music Playback and not Ambient mode when playing music from the TV. Then when I want to watch an actual movie I want to quickly be able to switch back to surround mode. 

Please please listen to your customers!!

One option that may perhaps help you, is to switch off TruePlay, set the surround distance to >10ft and then slide the TV Level slider bar right to +15, to get your TV (music) audio to noticeably play to the rears.

Thanks, Ken. I will give that a try, but then don’t I lose the TruePlay settings? Or are those preserved for when I turn it back on? Also, if the TV is trying to output encoded surround sound, wouldn’t that mess up

Also, I’m curious if I bought a Sonos Move, if I could add it to the TV system so that it would play full sound in the Move from the TV? There’s got to be a better way to push sound to Sonos from a TV. 

Thanks, Ken. I will give that a try, but then don’t I lose the TruePlay settings? Or are those preserved for when I turn it back on? Also, if the TV is trying to output encoded surround sound, wouldn’t that mess up

I don’t think it would cause you to lose trueplay settings, but you are correct that you would get still get surround sound if the audio was encoded with surround sound

Also, I’m curious if I bought a Sonos Move, if I could add it to the TV system so that it would play full sound in the Move from the TV? There’s got to be a better way to push sound to Sonos from a TV. 

The Move would need to be setup as a separate Sonos room, which could then be grouped with your TV room to play audio together.  However, with TV audio, the Move would be slightly behind creating an echo effect.

I’m definitely in favor of a setting that allows users to play TV audio in full stereo.  Besides the normal case you’ve laid out.  It would effective allow users to use two Sonos amps (one front, one rear) that play together in stereo from any source.  And since an amp can connect to two pairs of speakers, that effectively means you can have 8 passive speakers setup as a single zone, which would be excellent for large rooms and outdoor spaces.

You don’t lose the TruePlay settings, as that can be toggled back on - but ‘yes’ you would have to put the ‘TV Level’ slider control back to default for correct surround audio. It’s just a workaround.

There are devices too, like Nvidia Shield TV, that will up-mix its audio output to 5.1 surround sound for its stereo outputting Apps etc.

Sonos themselves may have technical reasons why they perhaps don’t include this feature, as you rightly mention, there have been quite a few posts on the topic going back quite a while and my ‘offerings’ here are just some suggestions that you may find will help achieve a similar outcome.