Please go back to the last app, the update sucks SO bad!

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

397 replies

Dissent is most certainly allowed. I've never said others should not be allowed their opinion. The only people calling for censure around here are the ones telling me to stop posting.

I get it. You don't like what I have to say or the manner in which I say it. Unless I am violating the forum TOS, that's your problem. Deal with it.
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
And this is typical of the way you 'communicate' on this forum as andrewmk pointed out a couple of posts ago.. You care so little about what others have to say that you need inflate and exaggerate what they have been posting, just so you can ridicule their point, and that time and time again. Because dissent is clearly not allowed around here.

Amen!
Amusing that there is so much hate being spewed for an app that, with each iteration, gets closer and closer to the native streaming providers apps. Has anyone bothered to compare this latest version with the apps from Tidal or Spotify? So similar, i feel right at home in any of them...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It is a dead ringer for the current Spotify app. Someone at Sonos obviously believes mirroring what people are familiar with in the native apps is the way to gain more sales. But ..... as a way to control a multiroom, multiuser environment - pretty bad at in current configuration (but not saying it would take much to give that better focus).

There is another thread in the past 24 hours where the user hadn't tried the new app and was saying how he wished the Sonos app were more like Spotify/Google native apps. I let him know his wish has been granted the new version is just like them. Everyone has different opinions - some just express them as their wishes are the only ones that matter.

The fact is the App is a vehicle for Sonos to sell speakers. The more familiar it is to new customers the more they sell. Yes word of mouth from current users is important - they do need to keep current users fairly happy as to recommend them. If Sonos marketing tomorrow decided that Party Mode/Juekbox Mode/Queue lock would sell them more speakers (note: it would) then they would add it tomorrow. But if they feel it would complicate the app (as they obviously do) and turn away new users then they don't.

If they feel that having the application looking more like native apps will sell more speakers vs. loss of good will and word of mouth by a core group of users .. then they will do that.
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
Amusing that there is so much hate being spewed for an app that, with each iteration, gets closer and closer to the native streaming providers apps. Has anyone bothered to compare this latest version with the apps from Tidal or Spotify?

Are you saying that the Tidal and Spotify apps are also badly designed? :)

But ..... as a way to control a multiroom, multiuser environment - pretty bad at in current configuration (but not saying it would take much to give that better focus).

Agreed. Room selection and grouping is awkward but could be improved with minor changes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I truly think that keeping the nav bar always visible at the bottom and some esthetic changes (less white, more rooms per page in rooms menu) would make this a darn good version. I really never liked the navigation in the prior version (I did like the simpler navigation in the old blue version). I think I'm going to like this version the best with some needed tweaking. And I do have faith those tweaks are coming sooner than later.

Personally - I have always hated most native app designs. I use Apple music a lot and use it traveling (with Bluetooth speaker) and I really hate it. I always want my familiar Sonos back. I like Sonos being service agnostic. If I have Apple Music now, Spotify next month, Google Play the month following.... it all works the same in sonos. I right now have Spotify, apple music, and amazon music. Its very nice having search results for all in one place and I can play to any room not worrying with what service I'm actually using.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Maybe it would be good for all of us here to point out what things they would like to see in next re-imaging of this version of the application. The old version will never return. Lets focus on making this version the best thing yet vs. just trivial bickering about everyone's feelings.

I will start

My wishes:
1 - more rooms per page in rooms menu (way to much white space and large pictures - need to see as many rooms as possible)

2- nav bar at bottom stays there no matter what. Gives consistent navigation through app.

3- less white everywhere. Need creative use of more black sceens (best would be color customization but sonos hates customization)

4- Party mode/queue lock/jukebox mode. Whatever you call it. Still needed more then ever with changes made earlier this year (I doubt I will ever see this come)

5- Full mode toggle while playing via toslink cable in Playbar (now only full mode available when playing music sources). Should be a toggle like night mode.

6- easy way to quickly add a sub to a room (its not to bad these days but still requires going in room setup menus)

7- Permanent groups / Virtual Rooms - seriously its almost 2018 are we going on our second decade of this request.

Happy Holidays everyone!
And this is typical of the way you 'communicate' on this forum as andrewmk pointed out a couple of posts ago.. You care so little about what others have to say that you need inflate and exaggerate what they have been posting, just so you can ridicule their point, and that time and time again. Because dissent is clearly not allowed around here.

Amen!

And yet here you are! :8
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Dissent is most certainly allowed. I've never said others should not be allowed their opinion. The only people calling for censure around here are the ones telling me to stop posting.

No,no one is telling you to stop posting. This is about you bullying people for voicing critique, and you know it.

I get it. You don't like what I have to say or the manner in which I say it. Unless I am violating the forum TOS, that's your problem. Deal with it.
QED
Like I said, that's your problem.

Plus, it's absolute BS. You people pressured John B to stop posting his opinions that mostly have to do with helping people, and he's the nicest guy in here.
Userlevel 1
Someone asked for a post by people moving to other systems.
I have not expanded my Sonos system, the last 4 zones I have put in since 5.x are Chromecast Audio with SMSL amps and various speakers depending on the needs of the zone.
Is it as pretty and compact? No, but the sound is better and it works.

As far as my system issues since the 8.x update I am running all Ubiquiti hardware. I am now testing the system with out the bridge it has run off since 2013.
Yes the bridge was on a different channel, no my spectrum is not crowded. Yes everything is static IP and yes even though it is unnecessary to reboot the AP and USG I did anyway.

Next week for giggles I will reset and hardwire all of my Sonos gear, if the controller keeps dropping the system and lagging then it is good-bye.
"You people".... Nice words JGatie! Anyone else had a bullying PM from JGatie. I have. He wants to be top dog on here and will not let anyone else rule the roost and always has to have the last word. Typical bully.
Sigh.

Yes john, you people, meaning those on the anti 8.0 side. For I have not seen anybody who likes the new release telling John B to shut up.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Ummmm......

Happy Christmas anyone?

Can’t wait for version 9 so we can do all this again (and, no Jgatie you must resist the temptation to say that you will then be proved right)!! ;)

Andrew
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Merry Christmas Andrew.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Merry Christmas all!!! Christmas tunes are streaming and sounding great on my Play 1 and 2nd Gen Play 5 grouped on the main level. You guys need to lighten up. At the heart of hearts we are just passionate about our music and Sonos.
Its mind boggling how terrible the update is. Complete disaster. I literally just put all my stand alone speakers on craigslist. I have 2 amps that i use for non sonos speakers on my deck which ill keep until i find a decent replacement option
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Its mind boggling how terrible the update is. Complete disaster. I literally just put all my stand alone speakers on craigslist. I have 2 amps that i use for non sonos speakers on my deck which ill keep until i find a decent replacement option

“The one you gave away”
Userlevel 5
Badge +7

“The one you gave away will be the only one you’re wishing for”
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Merry Christmas all!!! Christmas tunes are streaming and sounding great on my Play 1 and 2nd Gen Play 5 grouped on the main level. You guys need to lighten up. At the heart of hearts we are just passionate about our music and Sonos.

Merry christmas too....hope that lightening up extends to not mocking anyone who doesn’t like the current version...
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi everyone, we appreciate the feedback all around. Please refrain from insulting or attacking other users, even if you disagree with their sentiments. Everyone should feel welcome to share here.

The team is listening and building on the foundation of the new app. You'll see some changes coming soon. They're looking into the brightness of the app and the team is working on ways to balance the colors. They're also looking into ways to improve the general flow of the app, and streamline navigation.

Thanks for sharing your feedback and please let us know what you think as the app develops.

I'm in the camp that sees the current app as being utter garbage and am rather dismayed at the current turn of events. Reading the comments it seems that Sonos is keen to pursue the streaming market and compete with the leading players there and the app changes reflect this desire.
Many of us (i.e. Sonos users who bought in several years ago) have absolutely no desire for the app to chase these trends and just want the app to stay as it was, with minor updates to allow for any hardware/functional improvements.
The more I read the more it seems that these two desires are mutually incompatible. If Sonos are unwilling to have two apps for the product (a legacy app and a new generation app) then they ought to provide a sufficiently open and public API to allow third party vendors to develop independent paid-for apps that give the functionality they will not provide.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There are apps like Sonospad and I would assume with new api depvelopers are free to use as they choose.
The new app is terrible, I mimss the old app, I cant control the rooms as easily and I feel like my access to spotify and pandora has become antiquated. This needs to be corrected ASAP!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
How has Spotify and pandora access become antiquated making the controller ifentical to the newest spotify app. I’m not a fan of current release but antiquated it is not.
I cant access my Daily playlists or radio stations without a lot of moving around. It was much easier with the old version