Skip to main content

Playing music Using the Mac/Pc app

• 27 December 2017
  • 7 replies

Why no sound?

Surely this is an oversight I have my entire house hard wired for sound at present I have built In speakers in every room ceiling apart from my office,

I currently have three connects and a connect amp for the turntable I also have the playbar so I have been building the system slowly over the last two years,

I have a retina 5k Mac and run the app from either my phone or the Mac if I'm in the office I don't currently have any speakers in here why can I just play the Sonos play list through the Mac i'm using sure it can go to all the other rooms too but why can't I play it through the Mac is there a fix for this it seems silly not to allow the host pc to play the songs too
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sound from what ? Doing what? Not much of a description of issue.
I posted to early lol hit the wrong key
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can play songs that reside on the Mac itself by adding folder they reside into your library.

But if your talking basic all sound playing on the macs speakers then no you can’t cureently do that. To do that the only good method Apple has right now is airplay (well airplay isn’t the best) but you have to get an airport express and plug into a sonos unit to pull that into your System.

However good news on horizon - Sonos has said they will be adding airplay 2 support in 2018. That will get you all sound from your Mac into Sonos ecosystem.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Oops your asking the opposite play Sonos via he app as if it were a virtual room. No Sonos does not have a software player ... and I think for good reason. I think of my old system which was squeezebox. A software player was developed which creates a virtual squeezebox room. So then you didn’t need to buy a speaker unit anymore. They quickly went out of business.
Cool thanks I moved from airplay to Sonos because airplay was so bad and constantly dropping out.

So I will be able to airplay from the Mac to the Sonos system in 2018 effectively bypassing the Sonos app and using iTunes .is that right
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes Stipulation May be that a Sonos One or play:5 gen 2 May be required somewhere in system for compatibility.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Of couse you can already play all your iTunes downloaded music and Apple Music as well from Sonos app.