Skip to main content

I’ve had a play 1 in storage since we are building a house. I never had good performance from the speaker. Using the iPhone  app songs would skip, stop or not even play. I still want to play music stored on my iPhone. I’m hesitant to try and set it up again knowing how poorly it performed before. Has the app been improved any? If not, I’m tempted to just try and sell the play 1 and be done with Sonos. 

First off, Apple has made a change to iOS that breaks the ability for Sonos to play "from this device". I would recommend that you read the main thread on this, which offers, and discusses many options, ranging from free to not.

I’ve gone to the AirPlay 2 route, but that won’t work on a PLAY:1, it just doesn’t have enough CPU to be an AirPlay 2receiver, so you’re going to need to consider one of the other options. 

By the way, poor performance of the speaker is usually a good indication of a bad network, most frequently wifi interference. Usually  that can be rectified by working directly with Sonos Support, who have helped many people who experience that kind of issue.

Thanks for the answer. I had the problem before iOS 13 and worked with support several times on it. It wasn’t a WiFi interference problem. Even wired the app never worked well. I’ll attempt using it again  

Well, it’s always the slight possibility of a broken device. Pretty small chance, but it’s there. It’s a complex electronic device, with a full computer in it, so there’s plenty of potential places for failure. It’s honestly pretty rare, based on the posts in this community. I think I can count on the fingers on one hand, and not including the thumb, the number of failed PLAY:1 devices over the last 7 years or so. But if you’ve already spoken to Sonos directly, it’s unlikely that any community member would have access to the same level of data that they would. 

I may try the windows controller again. I never found it user friendly for creating playlists.