Password to avoid guests changing music

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

186 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Sonos controllers used to insist that buttons be pressed on a hardware unit in order to associate with the system. For ease of use Sonos changed things such that, if there's only one system ('household') on the network, a new controller will automatically detect it and associate. However if there's more than one household the controller will still request a button push to identify the correct one.

Get another Sonos device -- a BRIDGE would suffice, which can be had for very little money off eBay -- and set it up as a 'new system'. This will create another household ID. Anyone on the same subnet wanting to illicitly associate a controller would then need physical access to your property to press buttons on a Sonos device.

Ratty beat me by 3 minutes 😞

When you pair a Sonos controller with a reset Sonos component they create what we call a household ID, a unique key to that Sonos pairing.

Ryan, related question for you.

I sometimes let guests on my main wireless network that includes Sonos in order to access resources not available on my guest network. I almost always change the wifi password after, and generally change it monthly anyway. Guests are usually friends and family, but sometimes might also be clients, friends of friends etc.

If they associate an app with my Sonos household and connect to my Sonos net via Android phone for example how do I stop them from connecting in the future, or stop them from connecting to Sonos net in the first place? I change my wifi password but what do I do about Sonos net? Is there any way to prevent guests from connecting to Sonosnet (I don't want to turn it off as I use it).
If they associate an app with my Sonos household and connect to my Sonos net via Android phone for example how do I stop them from connecting in the future?.
Advanced Settings -> Reset SonosNet Key
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
If they associate an app with my Sonos household and connect to my Sonos net via Android phone for example how do I stop them from connecting in the future?.
Advanced Settings -> Reset SonosNet Key

What he said. You can use the app to reset the key which will kick off all Android devices and you'll have to re-authorize them all to SonosNet again through the main wifi network.
Ah hadn't noticed this down at the bottom of the list. Thanks to the both of you.
Badge
Hello. I'm new to this forum and wanted to add my .02 cents.
Early on, I believe most people missed the point of password protecting a zone or group of zones.
I have similar concerns and would really love a password or LOCK OUT feature and here's why....
I work from home 90% of the time. When my doors are closed and I'm on a conference call speaking, I can't have someone begin to blast music throughout the house, even if by accident. So, to be able to lock out a zone until it's unlocked (by a master user) would be huge!
Same thing if my wife and I are asleep and the kids decide to play music in our zone. That's a no no.

So, I don't believe this has truly be solved yet (besides guest networks and those kinds of silly alternatives). A lock out / password feature by zone would be great. We really need the control to say who can play their music where and when.

Thanks!
Unplug the power on the players in your office while you are on a call. If messing with the power cord is not convenient there are many inexpensive options for remote control modules or power strips so you can easily turn the system on and off from your desk.
Badge
Thanks for the quick reply Mike.
While many people have come up with options for ways to address this, wouldn't all of this be much easier if you could lock / unlock zones or password protect zones all from within Sonos? It's a small feature that could save time and money so that all these other "work arounds" weren't needed.

This is something so simple, I can't believe Sonos hasn't included this in a software release. I really hope they do. This is a paint point....
We really need the control to say who can play their music where and when.

This request is over 10 years old going back to the old forums. Probably will never happen.

Probably best just to accept that this is one of the places that Sonos falls down.

Personally I run another system in combination with Sonos (not because of this specific issue) because it doesn't meet my needs in all areas. Look around maybe you will be happier with a different speaker in your office.
Badge
Yeah.....you're probably right. Just something we have to live with....
Badge
The funniest shit in these sonos forums is always how people state workarounds that are absurd. Go unplug the power cords. Get a guest wifi setup or buy a dedicated bridge. Etc. how about making the app better? It's not hard as thousands of apps have this feature so why is this being pushed off by sonos and being have to dealt with by the customer?

The sonos defenders here are crazy
Badge
It's not hard as thousands of apps have this feature so why is this being pushed off by sonos and being have to dealt with by the customer?

Completely agree. This would really help quite a few people and can't be that difficult to implement.
The funniest shit in these sonos forums is always how people state workarounds that are absurd. Go unplug the power cords. Get a guest wifi setup or buy a dedicated bridge. Etc. how about making the app better? It's not hard as thousands of apps have this feature so why is this being pushed off by sonos and being have to dealt with by the customer?

The sonos defenders here are crazy

Consider for a second the "Sonos defenders" have no way of forcing Sonos to do anything, and have no way of "making the app better" themselves. So instead, they try to make the most out of a bad situation and point the poster towards a workaround, no matter how unsatisfactory it may be. Sure beats pissing and moaning without offering any help whatsoever, huh?
[
Consider for a second the "Sonos defenders" have no way of forcing Sonos to do anything, and have no way of "making the app better" themselves. So instead, they try to make the most out of a bad situation and point the poster towards a workaround, no matter how unsatisfactory it may be. Sure beats pissing and moaning without offering any help whatsoever, huh?

I actually found the post very helpful (not in a technical sense but to bring some balance and sanity), though I would have never called the posters here crazy as I find it disrespectful and inappropriate as mental health is not something to throw around. I guess the point of your post was to complain about the others opinion calling it "pissing and moaning." But when you say "try to make the most out of a bad situation" it seems you agree with the main thrust of this thread and find the lack of password to be bad. There's some common ground, seems you both agree on this.
Badge
;-)
I think most of us agree that a password or zone lock feature would be a add a lot of value.
Other don't seem to care.
I need to lock certain zones at certain times so as to protect my ability to work from home.

I personally see real value here and can't believe this has never been implemented.
;-)I personally see real value here and can't believe this has never been implemented.

The other forums had epic lists of features, the debates were truly something to behold. This was just one of them in a very long list, which is why I am not optimistic it will ever be implemented. Though Sonos and Apple seem to be developing some partnership (maybe more) so who knows what will happen in the future: http://vowe.net/archives/015443.html

I actually found the post very helpful (not in a technical sense but to bring some balance and sanity), though I would have never called the posters here crazy as I find it disrespectful and inappropriate as mental health is not something to throw around. I guess the point of your post was to complain about the others opinion calling it "pissing and moaning." But when you say "try to make the most out of a bad situation" it seems you agree with the main thrust of this thread and find the lack of password to be bad. There's some common ground, seems you both agree on this.

My opinion is that some reasons for requesting this can be wholly and satisfactorily solved by a guest network. These reasons include "I don't want my neighbors visiting and then being able to control my system." or "If I give my guests my password, they can control my music just by downloading the app" complaints. I also feel the "My kids think it is funny to play rap music at 4 AM on my bedroom speakers" complaints are parenting issues, not Sonos issues. However, "party mode" allowing only additions to the queue and other social gathering functions are a great idea.

But that is neither here nor there when considering the posts which consist of throwing stones at "Sonos defenders" who want nothing more than to give alternatives to Sonos' apparent lack of response to their concerns. These posts are the "pissing and moaning" (aka "attacking the messenger") of which I speak.

My opinion is that some reasons for requesting this can be wholly and satisfactorily solved by a guest network. These reasons include "I don't want my neighbors visiting and then being able to control my system." or "If I give my guests my password, they can control my music just by downloading the app" complaints. I also feel the "My kids think it is funny to play rap music at 4 AM on my bedroom speakers" complaints are parenting issues, not Sonos issues. However, "party mode" allowing only additions to the queue and other social gathering functions are a great idea.

But that is neither here nor there when considering the posts which consist of throwing stones at "Sonos defenders" who want nothing more than to give alternatives to Sonos' apparent lack of response to their concerns. These posts are the "pissing and moaning" (aka "attacking the messenger") of which I speak.

I would say both sides are throwing stones, though I can see why you seem to be particularly aggrieved. Shall we call a timeout?

I recognize your opinion and sound parenting advice. However I don't agree with it. I've received solid advice on this thread and am at an equilibrium with this issue. However certain life changes will mean that this equilibrium will not last. There is only so much I can do to mitigate the issues on my end. But in the end IMO Sonos is the one who should be solving this problem at a more satisfactory level.
I would say both sides are throwing stones, though I can see why you seem to be particularly aggrieved. Shall we call a timeout?

I recognize your opinion and sound parenting advice. However I don't agree with it. I've received solid advice on this thread and am at an equilibrium with this issue. However certain life changes will mean that this equilibrium will not last. There is only so much I can do to mitigate the issues on my end. But in the end IMO Sonos is the one who should be solving this problem at a more satisfactory level.

Only one of those "both sides" offer alternatives to posters and others who may be lurking. Big difference. I've also found these so called "Sonos defenders" are the ones posting in thread after thread, tirelessly offering sales and/or technical support to total strangers for little payback. Yet, when it comes to threads like these, their tireless support, not to mention their years of expertise, are laughed off with thinly veiled accusations of being nothing but cheap shills for the product. So forgive me if, after years on this and the former forum(s), I have concluded these types of posters purposefully have nothing to add except the aforementioned pissing and moaning and really, to paraphrase Alfred Pennyworth, "only want to watch the thread burn". Call me a cynic.

ETA: Please note these comments are directed to one type of post only, typified by the coarse language, insulting labels, and mental illness accusations in the post I replied to above . It is not directed at thoughtful posters who may simply disagree, without all the drama.
Badge

There is only so much I can do to mitigate the issues on my end. But in the end IMO Sonos is the one who should be solving this problem at a more satisfactory level.

COMPLETELY AGREE.
Badge
I've gone through a lot of these threads. I've had Sonos for a long time. It used to be a niche product and so didn't have a lot of knowledge on how to access the system. Now I have friends come over and mess with it just for fun. It's quite annoying.

The "parent your friends" folks in this thread really need to wake up and smell the coffee. People here are asking for something apparently simple -- if Sonos wants to come on here and say it's dramatically complex for some reason to add a PIN, then we're all ears. But until then, let's assume adding a PIN to the process is easy. Many of the devices we use -- wifi, computer, phone, car, house, iPad, etc -- require authentication with a key or PIN. Our house key doesn't work on our car because we intentionally DO NOT want to couple those together, so that if you give someone your car key you have also given that person access to the house. Is it really unreasonable to ask for something so that giving someone wifi access doesn't give someone access to sonos? In every group of people there will be an immature person who will think it's funny to mess with the sonos. Or even a literally immature person, like a 5 year old who gets a hold of an unlocked iPad and wants to blast music at 6am. "Why not just lock the iPAD?? Huh? Huhhhh????" Well, why can you lock "in-app purchases" on an iphone? Because there are many instance where you allow access to the phone, but not EVERYTHING on it. Sonos included.

Sonos is such that they don't even need YOUR device to break in. They can use their own phone to buzz in, as long as they have your wifi password. "Just set up a guest network!!!" OK, maybe I will, but it seems like a nuisance to have to do that because Sonos simply won't use a PIN. It boggles the mind that they haven't added this feature.
If you want people to have access to your WIFI, that is your responsibility... Not Sonos'. A guess network will resolve the issue. It is quick, and easy, and built into most WIFI routers today. My cheap $35 one has it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I've gone through a lot of these threads. I've had Sonos for a long time. It used to be a niche product and so didn't have a lot of knowledge on how to access the system. Now I have friends come over and mess with it just for fun. It's quite annoying.

The "parent your friends" folks in this thread really need to wake up and smell the coffee. People here are asking for something apparently simple -- if Sonos wants to come on here and say it's dramatically complex for some reason to add a PIN, then we're all ears. But until then, let's assume adding a PIN to the process is easy. Many of the devices we use -- wifi, computer, phone, car, house, iPad, etc -- require authentication with a key or PIN. Our house key doesn't work on our car because we intentionally DO NOT want to couple those together, so that if you give someone your car key you have also given that person access to the house. Is it really unreasonable to ask for something so that giving someone wifi access doesn't give someone access to sonos? In every group of people there will be an immature person who will think it's funny to mess with the sonos. Or even a literally immature person, like a 5 year old who gets a hold of an unlocked iPad and wants to blast music at 6am. "Why not just lock the iPAD?? Huh? Huhhhh????" Well, why can you lock "in-app purchases" on an iphone? Because there are many instance where you allow access to the phone, but not EVERYTHING on it. Sonos included.

Sonos is such that they don't even need YOUR device to break in. They can use their own phone to buzz in, as long as they have your wifi password. "Just set up a guest network!!!" OK, maybe I will, but it seems like a nuisance to have to do that because Sonos simply won't use a PIN. It boggles the mind that they haven't added this feature.

Sorry, I'm simply not having it. Just listen to yourself. You say "I might set-up a guest network". Why not just set one up? Why should every body else have to deal with the hassle of extra passwords or PINs just because people can't be bothered to use the functionality already available on their routers or have childish friends or can't control their children.

Sorry but this is the nanny state and abrogation of responsibility writ large.
@Stuart_W assuming using a password is optional, are you still against it?
No one is against anything if it's optional. What I'm against is the attitude that Sonos is responsible for the behavior of the kin of owners and needs to fix it. Especially when the fix is already present in their own homes to control their pesky ilk. I've had Sonos almost ten years now and not once did I have a problem with my kids or my guests messing with the system.