Question

Password protection

• 23 January 2017
  • 14 replies

Is there gonna be any password protection for the Sonos??
I'd love to know.

Theres nothing more I love then getting a heart attack in the middle of the night by someone playing metal on max volume on the sonos in my bedroom. This is why I don't recommend the Sonos speakers.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Is this badly behaved children, or some other building occupant on a shared WiFi? If it's the latter, get a travel router, attach it to the building network, and set up your own private subnet.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
And as far as knowing if it is forthcoming, either sooner or later. We do know and Sonos won't tell us.

We, as users of the Sonos product and frequenters of the forum, can give our own opinions of the idea itself and the likelihood of Sonos implementing.

As to the former, I err on the side a) Don't give ANYBODY access to the network upon which Sonos resides if you can't trust them NOT to play the fool b) If it is your children messing about then you have plenty of sanctions available. And to the latter Sonos have always wanted to ensure their system was always available to users and they are very likely to be reluctant to add extra layers of hassle and potentially lot of extra work for support.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Is there gonna be any password protection for the Sonos??
I'd love to know.

Theres nothing more I love then getting a heart attack in the middle of the night by someone playing metal on max volume on the sonos in my bedroom. This is why I don't recommend the Sonos speakers.

I know I shouldn't find this funny, but.
Access to the Sonos system is entirely under your control - if you have badly behaved people of any age, then limit them to a guest network with no access to the Sonos kit. Or vice versa, whichever works best for you.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Honestly, this would take a reasonably simple token system. You only need to approve the device once.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Honestly, this would take a reasonably simple token system. You only need to approve the device once.

Nonsense.

You've already given the culprit a "one-time" approval access to your network and now they 're waking you up in the middle of the night. So why would your idea have any improvement?

You'd have to have a "master" user who could revoke all access to the other users. Ability to reset passwords. How about switching it off for those who don't need it. What if the Master user forgets their password. What if the Sonos units are factory reset?

Besides the discussions as to whether or not it is need the idea that it's implementation can be dismissed as "It's only a simple token system required" is simplification to a hyperbolic degree.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Nonsense.

You've already given the culprit a "one-time" approval access to your network and now they 're waking you up in the middle of the night. So why would your idea have any improvement?

You'd have to have a "master" user who could revoke all access to the other users. Ability to reset passwords. How about switching it off for those who don't need it. What if the Master user forgets their password. What if the Sonos units are factory reset?

Besides the discussions as to whether or not it is need the idea that it's implementation can be dismissed as "It's only a simple token system required" is simplification to a hyperbolic degree.

That's still not very complicated. Sorry, if Sonos can't figure that out, they are pretty much going out of business right now.

That's still not very complicated. Sorry, if Sonos can't figure that out, they are pretty much going out of business right now.

Oh jeez, not this garbage again. If I had a dime for every time someone whined that Sonos are going to go out of business because they haven't done XYZ, I could afford a new Play:5. :8
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Oh jeez, not this garbage again. If I had a dime for every time someone whined that Sonos are going to go out of business because they haven't done XYZ, I could afford a new Play:5. :8

You completely missed the point. The point is, this is an easy solution and Sonos should have no problem implementing this. Of course Sonos isn't going out of business.

You completely missed the point. The point is, this is an easy solution and Sonos should have no problem implementing this. Of course Sonos isn't going out of business.

If your point was not that Sonos will go out of business if they can't figure this out, then exactly what was your point??? And if I had a dime for every time someone stated something was an "easy fix", I could buy two Play:5's. The fact is, the logistics of something like this are not easy, nor is it trivial to implement. The ROI may not be worth it, regardless of the longstanding vocal minority who complain about it.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

If your point was not that Sonos will go out of business if they can't figure this out, then exactly what was your point??? And if I had a dime for every time someone stated something was an "easy fix", I could buy two Play:5's. The fact is, the logistics of something like this are not easy, nor is it trivial to implement. The ROI may not be worth it, regardless of the longstanding vocal minority who complain about it.

Look, as someone in the industry, trust me. It's not very hard.

And look, as an actual Software Engineer, I know that unless one has a detailed knowledge of the code, one should never deem something to be "not very hard". :8
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

And look, as an actual Software Engineer, I know that unless one has a detailed knowledge of the code, one should never deem something to be "not very hard". :8

And, that's the end of this. When you belittle someone, you lose the argument.

And, that's the end of this. When you belittle someone, you lose the argument.

So you can list your professional qualifications to make your point, but me listing mine to refute your point is belittling and losing the argument?

Yes, that would be the end of this, but not for the reasons you state. :8