Skip to main content

Currently use iTunes on MacBook for all my music. Plan on adding a NAS.

How can I organize my music, without using iTunes. Is the there software to organize? I liked to be able to easily find selections and have playlist.

Thanks

Joe

You can use iTunes to manage music on an NAS.  Simply copy your iTunes directory to the NAS, then start iTunes by holding down the Shift key and starting iTunes (PC) or holding down the Option key while starting iTunes (Mac).  You will be given a dialog box to choose iTunes Library files, browse to the NAS and choose the files there.*  This will keep all your tracks, playlists, etc. on Sonos.

*Note: Not sure where the files are in the current ITunes structure.  Search for ‘iTunes Library.xml” to locate them.

I put my stuff on my NAS in folders organized like this:

Music folder, then:

A, B, C, D….

-- Abba

---- Greatest hits One

------ tracks

---- Greatest Hits Two

------ tracks

---- Air Supply

Thanks jgatie and Stanley_4

I was hoping there was another app/software other than iTunes. But that sounds like the easiest option for me.   If I add new music thru MacBook does the NAS get updated automatically ?

Stanley...That’s the way I thought I would organize, but sounds like a long process. I assume you can setup playlists.  Experimenting right now. Added a usb drive with some playlists transferred from iTunes to the port in the back of my Airport Extreme router. 

Getting ready to decide what to do about a NAS.

Thanks again

Joe

Marana,AZ

Yes, once you point iTunes towards the NAS library, all updates will take place on the NAS. 

Easy to set up playlists, you can also sort by a variety of tags and that sort of thing too. The only time the on-disk organization matters to Sonos is in the Folder View mode under Browse.