Skip to main content

I’ve been using Plex with Sonos for a while, and after the time it took to get everything set up I’m loath to change it, but I’m looking for something that doesn’t need to be online to work.

Yes, Plex can be configured to work just on the local network, but it’s not how the product is built and isn’t the most reliable of changes.

Hi @Tom Phan.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. Allow me to share some information to help out.

I would like to share with you the guide about Play music stored on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch which discusses some alternative way on how to play your songs (downloaded) into your Sonos ecosystem.

• NAS is an option which is designed to be a standalone device that works with in the network which you may use to store your music and play your music from.
  • If you are using a Sonos Airplay 2 compatible device, you may not need anything but an Airplay 2 capable Apple device as discussed in this FAQ as well as what Sonos devices are Airplay 2 compatible.
  • If you have an Android device, You may use the feature (On this device) as this is available on all Android devices.
  • If you have a computer/laptop, You can use the Music library indexing feature to share your music stored on your laptop/computer into your Sonos ecosystem as discussed on this FAQ. However, This option needs the computer/laptop where the music is stored/downloaded to be always turned on. otherwise, when the computer/laptop is shutdown, it will not work.

These options does not require any devices to be connected to the internet and can work through locally.

I hope this helps.

I’ll be more than happy to help if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Sonos integration requires services that run online. It has no extension point that works off-line. For local file playback, your choices are:

1. Sonos Mac/PC built-in support (via SonosLibraryService)
  2. File sharing over SMBv1 for NAS users
  3. Plex (via SMAPI)
  4. AirPlay (iOS only)
  5. Play from this device (Android only)