Not able to update Sonos products (Error 1101)

• 4 September 2014
  • 4 replies

Hi there, I have been experiencing the issue ever since I opened and am using a Sonos Bridge bought 12-18 months ago. Before I continue, let me say that the reason I am creating a new thread is because a) The proposed solutions in other threads haven't worked and; b) I am living in an apartment for university students that provides their own wireless internet with their own modem and router. Hardware: Play:3 - Two Bridge - One The router in my apartment is on the other side from my Play:3's, which are in my room, approximately 10-15 feet away. When first setting up the system, I was able to quickly and easily find both the Bridge and Play:3's. Sonos asked me to update and when I did I was "unable to update" due to a "problem in checking for updates (1101)." I am given the options Try Again and Not Now. When I choose Try Again Sonos falsely tells me my products are up to date. I have tried unplugging everything, restarting my computer then only plugging in the Bridge, then trying to update. This only results in the same error. I have tried uninstalling the controller and installing the latest version (5.1) from sonos.com. No luck. I have also tried resetting the controller. Still, no luck. I am certain that the issue is the Bridge as the Play:3's are on version 5.0 and the Bridge is on version 3.8. I am not unfortunately not able to unplug or manipulate my modem or router in any way. Sorry for the long post but I'd like to think that everything is concise. I am as in love with my Sonos products just as much as the day I bought it and I'd really like to get back to loving it! Thanks, Josh Note: The internet works very well otherwise.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi Josh,

Try wiring one of your PLAY:3 whilst your other components are unplugged from the power, then check for updates.
Then power your wireless PLAY:3 and check for updates again.

Afterwards, power your BRIDGE but keep it wireless and check for updates.
If everything appears to be updated, wire your BRIDGE again and place your two wireless PLAY:3 where you'd like them to be.

After you have done this please submit a diagnostics report and reply with your confirmation number.
Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,
Mohammed
Mohammed My son has the identical problem at his Uni yesterday where he has a mac and play 3 but no bridge. I set up his computer and Play 3 at home using our Sonos but at his Uni hall (where he just has wifi but no router), I could not get the update to work (with the same 1101 error message). What is the solution that I might try here? Tim
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Mohammed My son has the identical problem at his Uni yesterday where he has a mac and play 3 but no bridge. I set up his computer and Play 3 at home using our Sonos but at his Uni hall (where he just has wifi but no router), I could not get the update to work (with the same 1101 error message). What is the solution that I might try here? Tim
Hi Tim,

Try using the new wireless setup (available as of Sonos 5.1). This does not require a BRIDGE, instead your SONOS components will connect directly to your wireless network.

Thanks,
Mohammed
Re: Error 1101 - unable to update Sonos controller.

On my Mac I discovered a backdoor to this problem 'error' 1101 try again' etc.

Instead of trying to update my system via the 'update' tab above 'favourites/library' etc. Which kept giving the 1101 error message I went to: Manage, Add Player or Sub which prompted me to update my controller. The message 'update controller before adding new products' popped up, clicked on it and hey-presto, system updated. I hope this helps.