Skip to main content

Since buying a Beam I can no longer stream music to my Apple TV in different room. I can select Apple TV from airplay menu but get no sound. Screen mirror works for images but not sound. Music streams to Sonos but not the Apple TV. Have restarted Apple TV, Phone and Router and still not working. Any advice would be great. 

Hi @Hedge

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for bringing this to our attention. Let me share some information to help you out. 

The usual setup that works for your devices, your AppleTV should be connected via HDMI to your TV, and your Beam should be connected to your TV via HDMI ARC, and the HDMI-CEC is enabled. Is this how your AppleTV and Beam are connected? Does your TV have an HDMI ARC port?

Can you get audio from your TV to your Beam? If this is the case, you may need to check your AppleTV audio settings and set it the same input as your TV audio settings. Sonos home theater products like the Beam supports these audio formats - Stereo/PCM and Dolby Digital 5.1/AC3. 

To help you check why there's no audio on your Sonos Beam, I'll be requesting a diagnostic report submitted from your Sonos system. Please don't forget to include the confirmation number in your response to look into your system and find out the cause. We'll wait for your reply.

Let us know if you need help with any other information, we're here to assist you.

Hi Rowena

Thanks but the issue is not with sound on the Sonos itself as that seems to be working. The issue is that on another TV/speaker system in the house on same WiFi network no longer plays sound on airplay. Ie the Sonos system somehow interferes when I try to play music in a different room. I can steam airplay to the Sonos and that works but no longer on my original system which is on another room. I hope that makes sense. Please any help appreciated. Thanks. 

Hi @Hedge

Thanks for your response and for updating us. For me to check why you can’t stream via AirPlay to your Sonos speaker, please run a diagnostics report and post here the confirmation number to check your system functionality and to further assist you with this. We'll wait for your reply.

Hi Rowena

Thanks but the issue is not with sound on the Sonos itself as that seems to be working. The issue is that on another TV/speaker system in the house on same WiFi network no longer plays sound on airplay. Ie the Sonos system somehow interferes when I try to play music in a different room. I can steam airplay to the Sonos and that works but no longer on my original system which is on another room. I hope that makes sense. Please any help appreciated. Thanks. 

The below troubleshooting check-list can often resolve many Airplay issues too:

• Plug all devices into a wall outlet instead of using battery power
  • Restart all devices and try to AirPlay again
  • Toggle off Bluetooth, or if already off, try turning it on
  • Turn off Cellular Data
  • Disconnect from any other Bluetooth devices (like speakers)
  • Ensure all are connected to the same WiFi network/subnet.
  • Reset your network settings on your iDevice in Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings
  • Update iOS, and speaker firmware/software
  • Move your devices away from other electronics
  • Renew your devices DHCP lease via the router configuration pages or reboot the router
  • Switch off any security software and VPN software installed on the broadcasting device

Hi Rowena

the diagnostic number is 483454452

still not able to fix problem 

thanks

Hi @Hedge,

Thanks for your response and for submitting the diagnostic report. Let me check it for you.

Based on the diagnostic, there's interference in your network that may be caused by wireless congestion. This may cause audio dropouts or other audio problems to a single Sonos room. Wireless interference can occur when two or more wireless devices compete for the same WiFi space. If this overlap is causing performance issues, it can be quickly resolved by finding the source of the interference. You can also find instructions on how to reduce wireless interference in our short video.

You mentioned, there’s no issue with your Sonos that you can stream via AirPlay. May I ask, the other speaker that’s having an issue streaming via AirPlay, is that a Sonos product? The reason I asked, in the diagnostic, I can only see your Sonos Beam and there are no other speakers in your system.

If you need help with any other information, feel free to reach out. We'll wait for your reply.

Hi Rowena

thanks for your reply. I have reset and restarted everything. For now it seems to work fine again.  
One question - the Sonos is connected to the 2.4ghz WiFi channel while most other devices connect via the 5ghz WiFi channel. Does this make any difference? Does is matter that Sonos is using 2.4ghz?

thanks

Hi @Hedge, thanks for your response and for updating us. I’m glad that your Sonos system is working again. Sonos is compatible with 2.4GHz WiFi signal and 802.11b/g/n modes enabled in your router. You may check out the Sonos system requirements FAQ for more information. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have further questions or concerns. We are always happy to help out.