News from BBC regarding BBC Sounds and Shoutcast streams

• 3 November 2022
  • 64 replies

Show first post

64 replies

May I suggest pinning this information?

;)

Yes, please pin it to the backside of the BBC executive responsible for all this

But see earlier post on this thread from @ian02054 referencing my even earlier post

Badge

Merry Christmas everyone
https://github.com/public-broadcasting/bbc-sounds-community-edition-for-sonos

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

An interesting hack! Nice.

Still seems simpler to switch one’s Sonos country to the UK, setup BBC Sounds, then switch back to the original country.

Hi All

I have an update:

The BBC are making changes to the way they distribute BBC radio services.  We recommend that if you are listening in the UK you add the BBC Sounds content service to your Sonos app for continued uninterrupted listening. If you are not in the UK we recommend you install the BBC Sounds app on your mobile and cast to your Sonos device. For further information please see here https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/questions/recent-changes-to-bbc-sounds/shoutcast-closure

The BBC are removing all of their content from TuneIn (and therefore Sonos Radio) in mid-2023 - although they are switching to different technologies, they are not doing so on TuneIn, which contradicts the assumption I now realise I made. My apologies for any confusion. 

To be clear, if you are outside the UK, then the only ways to play BBC content will be through the BBC Sounds app for your smartphone or tablet - this can then be sent to Sonos via AirPlay, Bluetooth or Line-In, if you have compatible players - or with the Alexa BBC Sounds skill which will also work, and play on Sonos, but multiroom playback will not be supported.

UK listeners should add BBC Sounds to their Sonos system.

I realise this will not be what many of you wanted to hear, but I can only recommend feeding back to the BBC - this is not under our control.

the BBC seems consistent to kick out all non-UK residents, in line with the BREXIT strategy :-)

Conversely, perhaps their strategy is to pay for certain rights, and not pay for all worldwide and streaming rights for every bit of content. 

The legal landscape has certainly changed from the times of WWII, when they were the source of international news broadcasting. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. 

Reply from the BBC on 16.12 regarding the message that interrupts programmes shortly before the hour on BBC Radio on Tunein:

‘’Thanks for getting back to us.

When we say that BBC Sounds is only available on Sonos inside the UK, we mean the BBC Sounds service which you enable on Sonos similar to the BBC Skill on Alexa). You are listening to an entirely different service (possibly TuneIn or similar) but this message is specifically for Shoutcast and this is very likely the format used to the service you are listening to and this is why you are getting the message.’’

At some stage in 2023, the streams will no longer be available on Shoutcast. You can see more information on this here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/questions/recent-changes-to-bbc-sounds/shoutcast-closure

‘’

I understand this to mean that Sonos uses similar to Shoutcast. Can Sonos change that?

Must I do something?

@Notanothername . Are you in the UK?

Not in the Uk John,

in mainland Europe.

I understand this to mean that Sonos uses similar to Shoutcast. Can Sonos change that?

In that case, you have misunderstood.  The format of the stream is determined by the consolidator, e.g. TuneIn.  Sonos will play the stream provided it is in a format that Sonos supports.  Sonos already supports the HLS format that the BBC will continue to use after mid-2023.  The real problem is that the BBC is withdrawing its streams from TuneIn and at least some other services (possibly all such services, I am not totally sure on that point).  So there is nothing Sonos can do about this.

This isn’t an issue for UK residents as we can use the BBC Sounds service integrated into Sonos.  It is potentially an issue for those living outside the UK.

Must I do something?

If the BBC withdraws from all consolidator services then I think your only option will be to use Airplay or Bluetooth to play the BBC Sounds app to your Sonos system.  So the worst case scenario is that you will need to buy a Roam, if you don’t already have one.  Another option is a Bluetooth receiver in the line-in port of any Sonos device equipped with a line in.

Thank you for your reply John

No, I don’t understand. Sonos uses TuneIn, but could use the HLS Format - which if I understand that much would be ok for BBC Radio. So why are they still using TuneIn?

I already have a Roam - so I’ll use that when I’m in the UK.

BBC Sounds via Sonos is only available in the UK (Info from Sonos).

Thank you for your reply John

No, I don’t understand. Sonos uses TuneIn, but could use the HLS Format - which if I understand that much would be ok for BBC Radio. So why are they still using TuneIn?

Sonos has to use SOME service and I think the BBC is withdrawing from other services too.  If there is a service streaming in HLS after mid-2023 perhaps Sonos will use it, but they may not have that option.

I already have a Roam - so I’ll use that when I’m in the UK.

Why not use it in Europe too?  BBC Sounds app is available outside the UK.  You can Bluetooth to the Roam and thence to other speakers on your network.

BBC Sounds via Sonos is only available in the UK (Info from Sonos).

It is available on your phone / tablet outside the UK.  Anything that you can play on your mobile device can be played to a Roam.

Thank you again.

I have BBC Sounds on my mobile. Not sure how I can get that over my Sonos SL speakers…… (...I know….nothing)

Thank you again.

I have BBC Sounds on my mobile. Not sure how I can get that over my Sonos SL speakers…… (...I know….nothing)

The Roam can connect to your WiFi and Bluetooth at the same time.  So Bluetooth to the Roam, then group the other speakers to the Roam.  Mute the Roam if you don’t want the sound on the Roam as well.

Hi John

Have just tried that and succeeded.

Does that mean I always have to start up the Roam first?

And do I always have to have Bluetooth active on my phone in order to listen?

Bluetooth needs to be on while you are using it.  I think it would probably be most robust if you connect to the Roam first then group other speakers to it, but I haven’t tried this.  You will have to experiment, but at least you have a method that you know works.

Thank you very much for your help, John

I’ll try that.

I’d still prefer to just tap the speaker to listen though - have got lazy.

Just an update John, and to thank you for your tips.

I realise it doesn’t work for me getting Sounds on phone (that bit is easy, but not great sound) then to use bluetooth e to find Roam and then sync to other Sonos speakers.

It’s not what I bought 4 Sonos products for - BBC radio was one of the main reasons. 

I sincerely hope Sonos will find a way of providing BBC radio to the wider community.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I realise it doesn’t work for me getting Sounds on phone (that bit is easy, but not great sound) then to use bluetooth e to find Roam and then sync to other Sonos speakers.

It’s not what I bought 4 Sonos products for - BBC radio was one of the main reasons. 

I sincerely hope Sonos will find a way of providing BBC radio to the wider community.

Just add BBC Sounds to your Sonos system. It works fine in the USA, though you might need to temporarily switch your Sonos account to UK to add it.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Yes this move by the BBC  is extremely upsetting for me.  I have listened to BBC Radio 3 and 4 and 4x for decades.   I listen to BBC News in the morning (its the mid day news show) and then The Archers right after - its how i start my day.   and then of course all the wonderful radio shows (dramas and comedies). 

Yes I know I use airplay to stream to my Sonos Beam and then group to other Sonos speakers but honestly - this hardly ever works for long.  Consistent dropouts and the sound will drop off one or more speakers randomly.  (yes they are on a different address) 

I would GLADLY PAY for access to BBC Sounds - but they are STUPID in not providing that .. just think of the $$ they could get … honestly how backward is this thinking - to eliminate the entire rest of the world from hearing your services when you could easily bring in a ton of $$ from many of us who would gladly subscribe. 

I am bereft. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

“or with the Alexa BBC Sounds skill which will also work, and play on Sonos, but multiroom playback will not be supported.”

What ?   So if i get out an old Alexa speaker, I can ask Alexa to play BBC Radio 4 on my Beam or Sonos One and it will work? 

And if the Beam is grouped shouldnt it play on the other Sonos speakers? 

Anyone test this?  of course we wont know for sure if it works until the BBC pulls out 

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Just add BBC Sounds to your Sonos system. It works fine in the USA, though you might need to temporarily switch your Sonos account to UK to add it.

no wqy to find BBC Sounds in the Services.  I turned off location and still it didnt show up.. I imagine its based on something in iOS that is not changeable.  Not sure how you are able to add it. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

OMG

THANK YOU 

THANK YOU 

THANK YOU 

THANK YOU 

THANK YOU