Skip to main content

i need to vocalize myself regarding then new sonos app. I like it, I accept it and I feel hope for the webapp, that indicate modernization for the desktop app. But, when the app was push onto me, I accepted the change as it gave me hope there was a reason for…and that reason would be the Sonos Ace headphones. Now, I am left confused and a bit unsettled. The app did not seem to have anything to do, and will not have anything to do with Ace. What is the point of modernizing the controller for the eco system, if it is not an eco-system. I wanted to enjoy the app as main player for my music, but now this seems to be instead some classical corporate silo thinking. What is going on!?

It’s a good question.  My own personal thought (hope?) is the headphones are as half-baked as the app, and we will see full integration as a Sonos room in the future.  After all, they do have WiFi capability (a Sonos rep stated the Arc → Ace connection is via the same 5 GHz connection as surrounds and subs).  It’s a botched release all around.  Perhaps they botched the feature set of the headphones too.

The spec of the headphones look good but Sonos don’t seem to be aiming them at existing Sonos music lovers. Instead they are being promoted for use when watching TV with Spatial Audio when used in conjunction with a Arc.

For music they seem to be expensive high quality Bluetooth headphones.

The spec of the headphones look good but Sonos don’t seem to be aiming them at existing Sonos music lovers. Instead they are being promoted for use when watching TV with Spatial Audio when used in conjunction with a Arc.

For music they seem to be expensive high quality Bluetooth headphones.

Personally, I’m in the market for a good set of headphones.  I have a discount for Sonos which may sway me towards the Ace.  My needs are a USB input for a guitar amp/recording interface and to use as a work headset, an analog input for a small portable practice amp, and Bluetooth.  I’d probably try the TV based Atmos, but I’m not a headphones for TV person.  The optimum for me would be to have dual inputs, analog/USB/Bluetooth and WiFi mixed, so I could work and listen to background music via the Sonos app.  But that is a pipedream, and I can do that today with my Sonos Ones and a $40 Logitech headset. 

I have already ordered them, but it drains my excitement and devotion just as much as it drains my wallet. I feel there is not much devotion left now. My hope is that with iteration some missing features will be heading my way, but that is could also just me being naive - which is not unheard of. 

It’s a good question.  My own personal thought (hope?) is the headphones are as half-baked as the app, and we will see full integration as a Sonos room in the future.  After all, they do have WiFi capability (a Sonos rep stated the Arc → Ace connection is via the same 5 GHz connection as surrounds and subs).  It’s a botched release all around.  Perhaps they botched the feature set of the headphones too.

That is pretty much my feeling as well. The current iteration of the headphones is missing some of the features we expected (wifi, in particular) but they likely will have some key features added after a few software updates.  I can be patient.  Still, I am definitely not a fan of the corporate culture at the top (CEO).