Skip to main content

new app has broken sonos system. i want a refund

• 16 June 2024
  • 8 replies

I can no longer control the music selection or volume on my Sonos equipment. Due to the new app it is dysfunctional. If you will not roll back to the old app then we will collectively need to seek a refund on your equipment as it has been mis-sold.

8 replies

Good grief.

Userlevel 3

YES! 100% dysfunctional app. I now cannot control or use my sonos speaker — the only speaker I have in my home. I wrote the CEO, because technical customer support is useless and is a waste of many hours. I also want a full refund so I can buy an Apple speaker.

Get in touch with our CEO, Patrick Spence, at ceo@sonos.com

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Maybe let us know in what way you can’t use your speaker - what precisely is the issue you are experiencing with the app - and perhaps someone on here might have the solution. (Have you searched for the solution to your issue?)

By the way, that email address isn’t actually Patrick Spence’s email address. It’s a generic one to make people feel powerful, but is largely answered with a generic reply (as you can imagine when it must receive hundreds of emails every day). 

And commenting on here won’t get you a refund. 

I agree. The app remains entirely dysfunctional. But moreover, my entire system has become unstable. My app fails to find system about 1/3 of the time; fails to load services about 1/3 of the time; fails to play music for alarm about 20% of the time; randomly mutes devices about 10% of the time; and cannot maintain a connection to service about 10% of the time on very fast wifi. 

At one point, I thought my speakers failed, but it turned out to be the random muting problem. My speakers would not play, but then I noticed a green light (not white) and found that green meant muted. Then I determined my speakers would randomly mute, sometimes while idle, sometimes while listening. Yesterday, for example, one speaker in a group suddenly muted itself while listening. 

Many users have spent hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars on Sonos speakers that no longer perform as advertised. Posting here won’t get a refund, but Sonos has failed to deliver. Why should users need pay for replacement systems only because Sonos can’t test their app before release? 

As one indicator of the scale of this problem, the rating for the Android app has dropped from well over 4 to just 1.2 since the update, and even some 4-star reviews cite multiple problems (e.g., could not connect new ERA 300s to wifi, found support useless, & returned headphones). 

Userlevel 3

Does anyone know when the broken app will be fixed and fully functional? I haven’t been able to use my Sonos system since May. It’s insane that Sonos WILL NOT release it’s prior app version for iPhone users so we can actually use our systems—which many of us paid hundreds or thousands of dollars for. 

NOT ONLY did Sonos approve release of a broken app so that their customers can no longer us the expensive systems they paid for (a form of malpractice)—Sonos also told their tech support reps to LIE about it. It took 4 separate phone calls with tech support (1-2+ hours each), for one of them to finally admit the app is dysfunctional.

Obviously, I will never buy or recommend Sonos again. That’s a gimme. BUT I should be able to use the system I paid for. 

Where is the fixed app? Where are the announcements for customers with updates on the situation? Where is the compensation?

Don’t be greedy, Sonos. It will bite you in the _______ in the long run.

Userlevel 1

When will the app be fixed as all of my system is unusable!?!?!?

I cannot select the devices I want to play back on so I cannot listen to music, this is fundamental to the use of the system

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi all, it looks like @Sonos are hiding after rolling out a complete joke of an ‘update’, the only new posts I can see is from them trying to push their new products!

I'm with you on that. It is absolutely scandalous and obvious malpractice to release a piece of software that breaks the hardware it is supposed to control. 

The system was stripped of so many essential functions and all I want to do is get a refund for my entire system and switch to a more reliable system.