Skip to main content

I have two distinct Sonos systems: a legacy-component Sonos stereo system in our upstairs living room (two Sonos Play speakers, and a Sonos Bridge connected to our router, downstairs), and a home-theater system downstairs (Playbase, Sub, L&R Sonos One speakers). I have been running all these components through the S1 app.

I just ordered a Sonos Arc to replace the Sonos Playbase in our downstairs home theater system. The Arc only works with the new S2 app. The Playbase and Sonos One speakers will also work with the S2 app.

To prepare for delivery of the Arc soundbar in a couple of weeks, I have downloaded and installed the S2 app on my iPhone. Now I want to “migrate” my present home theater setup (Playbase+L&R Sonos One speakers+sub) from my S1 controller to the new S2 controller, and replace the Playbase with the Arc soundbar when it arrives. 

Meanwhile I must continue to operate my upstairs living room stereo system (Sonos Play L&R speakers+Bridge) through the S1 controller, because the Play speakers (and Bridge) are incompatible with the S2 app, and I don’t want to replace them.

I have read everything I can find about splitting Sonos products between apps. Per Sonos support, before I can access the S2 app, I have to “remove omy S2] incompatible products using the Product Removal tool in the S1 Controller app.” 

In order to do this, however, I need to log in to the S1 controller. But I’ve lost my password, and I am unable to reset it. (Sonos’ online reset procedure isn’t working for me; despite many attempts, I’ve never received a reset link in my email inbox.)

To complicate things further, I cannot access the S2 app until I remove all the S2 incompatible products--which the S2 app detects as soon as I open it.

So barring being able to log in to my S1 controller, it looks like I’m in need of a workaround. I’m wondering if the following steps would work:

Reset all components to factory settings

Delete the S1 controller

Log in to the S2 controller (using a new Sonos account that I’ve already set up with a different email address)

Follow the S2 controller directions to set up the home-theater products

And after the above is completed:

Reinstall the S1 app, logging in under my new account

Set up the living room stereo system again with (or without) the Bridge, to work as before.

I would welcome any suggestions and I thank anyone who’s gotten this far for bearing with me.  

first to clarify: for your upstairs living room stereo pair - what model Play speakers are they?  the only Play device incompatible with S2 is the Play:5 (gen 1) but you don’t mention the model.  the Bridge is definitely incompatible though so if you require it to extend the Sonosnet reach upstairs.  in any case, now might be a good time to reevaluate whether the Bridge is needed.

if you truly have Play:5 (gen 1)s your plan should work just fine. i configured a new S1 network with my old gen 1 after my S2 upgrade and it went fine. if you have some other Play devices you might first evaluate if you need the Bridge or not - if not, you can just move everything to S2.