Skip to main content
So I'm sitting in my living room. No music is playing, I'm home alone. Suddenly, a completely unfamiliar artist from a genre I virtually never listen to (hip-hop) starts playing with increasing volume. I quickly pull up my phone, go to my Google Wifi to see who's on the network - nothing unusual. The source in my Sonos app is Spotify, as I manage to turn down the volume and turn the music off.

A look at https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/products/ reveals no new / recent additions, although I'd like the option to revoke/remove software.

Any idea what could have happened? It sounds like either someone connected to my Sonos account somehow or perhaps managed to hijack my Spotify account. I have no suspicious activity in Spotify either and as mentioned, no one else was on the network at the time either.

Thanks
Hi danijels

Does this happen:

1. At a specific time each day or

2. Is it random or

3. Was the occurrence a one time happening

Please respond with an answer or monitor for a day or two with the above questions in mind and report back.

Cheers!
Hi, thanks for replying.

So, no, it doesn't happen with any pattern. This is the first time I actually witnessed this behavior myself. However, in the past few months I have been seeing weird stuff in my Spotify "recently played" list, artists and albums I've never heard of. Though I haven't experienced these blasting on my Sonos speakers.

Obviously, I'll monitor this further. We have a family Spotify subscription with me, wife and daughter. It is conceivable that daughter might be into some of the stuff, but she has her own account so it wouldn't show up in my lists. Besides, she was at school when this happened. I will double-check with her though.

Edit: as I was typing this, it just happened again. Still home alone.
If someone has used Spotify Connect whilst on your network, the link to the player in question is retained (via the cloud) even if the user leaves the network. To break the link, simply play something different on that player.
If someone has used Spotify Connect whilst on your network, the link to the player in question is retained (via the cloud) even if the user leaves the network. To break the link, simply play something different on that player.

Well, that sounds plausible, but I am playing own stuff every day (and had just played half an hour before it happened first time today). Yet this happens.
Well, that sounds plausible, but I am playing own stuff every day (and had just played half an hour before it happened first time today). Yet this happens.

Playing something other than Spotify?

Playing something other than Spotify?

Mostly Spotify and some TuneIn stations.
Hi danijels

Although the issue in the link is a few years old it may have reared it's ugly head again regarding random play.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Accounts/Spotify-is-playing-random-music-why/td-p/41305

Since the issue seems to be localized to your device. My suggestion would be to try what's in the link; or if it were me I'd sign-out then delete the Spotify app and reinstall it. Worth a try :?

Cheers!
Thanks. For now, I've gone to Spotify and signed out everywhere from there. Then re-authenticated. Let's see if that helps first.
I would also change your Wi-Fi password too!
I'd certainly agree. My initial thought was to change the Spotify password, but if TuneIn stations are also being "played" without you initiating them, then someone else may have access to your wifi, and consequently your Sonos.