Skip to main content

My Speaker skill to control Sonos via Alexa

I just installed the skill set called MySpeaker and it works pretty well controlling my Sonos System. Anyone else using it ?
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Thank you Flybigrc! Glad to see you are pleased with it. I'm just sorry I didn't do this sooner (ie last year), I had no idea Sonos would take so long on their version.
How do you get the skill set?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You search for it in the Alexa skills area.
It works great. However I never got the genre selection to work with Spotify. If I want it to play rock or country nothing happens or it finds a song with those word in the title.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Raffe81, please send me an email (address is in the app) and we'll figure this out.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Looking forward to trying this out. So this is a server and must be running on a PC at all times?
Badge
Thanks for the Tip! Easy to set up and worked right away. The need of having the windows PC run is a downside. A Synology package would be great. Or a windows phone app (for those still having one of those). Well, I'll continue learning how to pronounce danish room names in English 😃
Hi I would also like to try this skill however , when I search for it in my alexa app it does not appear, is this skill available for the UK? or only for the US. Thanks
Badge
Hi I would also like to try this skill however , when I search for it in my alexa app it does not appear, is this skill available for the UK? or only for the US. Thanks
My settings are US. But make sure you are searching for "My speaker" (with a space), first.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Sorry, it is only available for US Amazon accounts, and the Alexa infrastructure lacks the required music features in the UK.
@controlav - I am interested to see if the Windows 10 app can be ported to run on Windows 10 IoT Core. This would enable the Windows app to run on a $35 RaspberryPi that can sit in a corner and be dedicated to this purpose. If you are interested, can you share the app source with me? I will be happy to share the solution back and provide guidance on how to set it up and get it running.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
I run my own copy of My Speaker on a Raspberry Pi 2, 24x7: no porting necessary, it just works. However there's no simple way to make it easy for customers to install (and update it) it - there is no Store on IoT builds except for commercial builds, which is way too much work/cost. Sorry, I'm not sharing the source.
Is it possible to run the app as a windows service? It would like to have it running in the background.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Check the web site for details of making it auto-start. However it wont run as a Service.
Having it autostart was never an issue :)
Since you don't want to have your code open sourced, maybe take a look at http://topshelf-project.com/ for making it run as a service in the background. Pretty simple stuff and easy to to set up and get it up and running as a windows service.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
I am thinking of releasing the version that runs on a Raspberry Pi, which are small, cheap and can easily run 24x7. If anyone is interested in that, PM me.