Skip to main content
I tried to search the community, but was not finding anything. My boss and I both have Sonos Play:1 speakers. Mine is not Alexa/Echo enabled, and I am not sure if hers is. She just sent me a message that my music (Sonos streaming radio) is playing through her speaker and she can't get her own items to play. How do I either 1) completely disconnect and just take the speaker home, or 2) figure out how to allow us to have independent streams? Thanks!
Are your speakers in the same location? On the same network? What is the background to how these speakers are associated?. In your controller app which speakers can you see?
Also, the speakers are not paired, never have been. Thanks for any advice - I know it's annoying if the question has been asked a million times.
The speakers are in the same office on the same wifi network. She has had hers in her office for years. I just installed mine Monday. In my controller app I see just mine (unless I am looking under the wrong item).
What room name does your speaker have in your app? What about your boss?
Good point! I just asked and hers is called Office, just like mine. Is it intuitive to change the name on the controller/account, or do I just need to start over with a reset?
Good point! I just asked and hers is called Office, just like mine. Is it intuitive to change the name on the controller/account, or do I just need to start over with a reset?

Two rooms cannot be named Office, if you duplicate a name it will be Office 2. See if you are playing to her room by changing rooms. Tap the "Rooms" icon at the bottom of the app, then choose the room by double tapping on it.

If you wish to change your room to something more descriptive like "Magda's Office", got to Settings->Rooms Settings->(Your Room name)->Room Name and tap on the room name. You can either overwrite what is there with a custom name or choose from the default names.
Attached is what I see under Settings, Rooms. The controller is on my desktop. If I am looking in the wrong place, I'll feel silly. Do I just choose another room, or do I need to reset and set up again. It did not give me the option at Startup to re-name a duplicated room, nor did it automatically add a 2.
Oh, from the Desktop Controller, choose the down arrow next to the "Room Settings for". See if you can choose "Office 2" or whatever your room is named. Then put the cursor in the "Room Name" section below that and change the room name.

When you get out of settings, you can choose the room on the left side of the Controller. After you choose the Room, you can then play your music to your room, and the boss can play music to their room.
Just offering a few suggestions... first, make sure you're connected to the right player.

In Help > About Sonos, you'll see a serial number listed for the player you're connected to on your computer. Check on the bottom of the Sonos player you have to see that the serial numbers match.

Also, that'll let you know if both of your systems have been merged into one Sonos network, or if they're separate.
The speaker name isn't particularly important in itself. Put if you change the name using your controller, it would be interesting to know if the speaker that appears in your boss's controller changes name.
Thank you everyone. As soon as I posted my last message a major storm came through and knocked the internet out and it is still out today, so I haven't had a chance to implement the suggestions. I'll check back in once everything is up and running again.