Skip to main content

2020-12-10 12:29:13

I am trying to add the Music folder on my DS720+ to my Sonos application and get error message that says "Sonos was unable to add the music folder". According to Sonos "To use a NAS drive with Sonos, the NAS must support the SMB(v1)/CIFS file-sharing protocol.".

I cannot find anything on the 720+ that shows that particular file-sharing protocol.

Help please.

Hi,

Sonos uses SMB 1. Please check that SMB1 is the Minimum file transfer protocol on your NAS.  Go to Control Panel > File Services > SMB > click on the Advanced Settings button > then change the SMB protocol and hit Apply.

AWESOME! Great support – it works… I am running Windows 10. I will share your response with the Sonos community.

Thank you!

Bob Alford

Hi @balford, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community and for sharing your feedback with us. You're right, to use a NAS drive with Sonos, the NAS must support the SMB(v1)/CIFS file-sharing protocol. I'm glad that after checking the settings in your Windows 10 PC, you were able to add your music folder from your DS720+. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have further questions or concerns. We are always happy to help out.

I didn’t understand the SMB(v1)/CIFS bit so the directions from Synology really made it work for me.

@Rowena B.  So what will happen when Synology rollout DSM 7 which does not support SMB1 because of it’s security vulnerabilities and all the Sonos systems stop working? Will Sonos upgrade to SMB3? What is the official Sonos position on this long standing problem?

Hi @BeeGee, thanks for reaching out to the Sonos community and for letting us know your concern. That’s right, to use a NAS drive with Sonos, the NAS must support the SMB(v1)/CIFS file-sharing protocol and our engineers are continuously examining our options for NAS file sharing, but we don't have any additional updates at this time. ​Let us know if you have further questions and we'll be glad to assist you.

Not an official Sonos position but what I have gleaned from a lot of reading.

SMB v2 or newer is not going to happen on S1 systems. There just isn’t the hardware in place to support it.

SMB v2 or newer could be supported on them as they have the necessary hardware. It isn’t likely to happen soon as switching from the old Linux code used prior to the S1/S2 split is not fast, easy or inexpensive. It is likely to be available when Sonos switches to a current Linux as making it unavailable would be extra work on Sonos’ part as it comes enabled on all current Linux distributions.

Easy enough for Synology, or other users to duck the SMB v1 issue by using a NAS to SMB v1 gateway that can run on almost any computer. I have notes for doing it on a Raspberry Pi Zero-W or better and run it on a Pi 3 myself as I like the Ethernet over WiFi link.

@Rowena B. , I’m sorry but that is such a non-answer. This security issue has been known for something like 15 years and customers have been raising it for at least 4 years on these forums and the answer from Sonos is <crickets>. I’m sure we all are sure SMBv3 will never be available on the Sonos1 speakers. However, it is more than reasonable, after this extended amount of time, that the engineers at Sonos provide some sort of statement as to whether it will be made available for Sonos2 speakers. If Sonos has no intention of fixing this security hole then say so!

At this point I’m not adding any more Sonos speakers to my system until something concrete is provided because I know DSM 7 is going to kill my existing system.

What is the real story with with SMB3?

Sonos has been very consistent over the years, they never talk about things until they are ready to promote them.

And that seems to be getting them a reputation that you wouldn’t want. I’ve been having a look at their Facebook page and it is running wild with complaints. They seem to be committing suicide!

Been doing it for years, still breathing, guess it is working for them.

I’m ever so happy I don’t do support, marketing or legal these days!