Skip to main content

I have had problems connecting to my Synology NAS. Having tried looking for an answer on the web and getting nowhere I phoned Sonos and after an hour I was no further forward. I eventually found a workaround , not a solution. I found if I unplugged my two One SLs and connected to the NAS Library using the Play 1 which worked correctly. If you try the play music from the One SLs you end up loosing the music again and have the access denied message. However, if you play the music from the Play 1 and link either or both One Sls to the Play 1 you can play the music. The One SLs can only play whatever is playing on the Play 1. At least I can play my music. Hopefully this might get sorted some time, but not holding my breath.

I have my SONOS system connected to a SYNOLOGY NAS. I am currently using the DS1821+, but have also used the DS1815+ and DS1511 in the pass.

1. You must enable SMB1 on the Synology NAS.

2. Create a share on the NAS and call it MUSIC.

3. Create a SONOS account and assign it a password and provide access to the music share.

4. In my system I have a SONOS BOOST connected to my Modem / Router. I also have multiple SONOS devices connected via both wired and wireless connections. The wired connections are connected to a TP-LINK managed switches with STP and RSTP active.

5. Using the SONOS App on you iPhone, Andriod or computer connect to the Music folder on the share.

6. If everything connects the SONOS shoudl have access to the music. I store all of my music in the FLAC format.

Thanks for tour information. I have all the settings you mention already set e.g. SMB1 and a music folder on my NAS. Also have username and password to access the music share. I don’t have a Sonos Boost, but all my speakers are wirelessly connected. I use Sonos app on my iPad and iPhone to access the music share. The thing is everything was working normally until a few gays ago then the speakers stopped playing music from the NAS and trying to reconnect gave access denied message. Nothing has been changed as far as I am aware, so not sure why the speakers stopped working with the NAS. The only thing that works is as I described in my original message. Sonos are still looking at the problem, but no solution yet.

A long shot: Are you on a BT router? If so, read this:

(Not sure why the BT would make the speakers behave the way they do, but worth a try. Sounds like the SL’s are not connecting to your wifi)

No, we are on EE. I think they use a different router to BT.

One of the things Sonos support have asked me to try was attaching one speaker to the router with an ethernet cable, but that didn’t make any difference.

Sonos support probably already suggested a restart of router and all speakers?

One thing you could try is, as mentioned in the BT article, to deactivate 5 GHz in the router. PLAY:1 can only connect to 2,4 GHz but SL can connect to both 2,4 GHz and 5 GHz.

I have no other clue so hopefully Sonos support or another Forum member can figure out something.

Yes, I have restarted router and speakers, but this didn’t solve the problem either. The strange thing is the older Play 1 works correctly with the NAS both wirelessly and via Ethernet through the router with the default 5GHz. It is the new One SLs which don’t work with the NAS. If it was a router problem with the 2.4 and 5GHz I would expect the new speakers to work and the older Play 1 that wouldn’t. I could be wrong though.