Skip to main content
Hello All,

Recently i update my Sonos as 5.1 by adding a PlayBase with my Existing Sub and 2 Sonos One, plus i have a Play5 too, the new setup works great for movies with 5.1 content, but i lost lot of volume and bass while listing music, my main usage is listing music (mostly), for music a Sub and two Sonos One is a best combination i think , but i cant use that setting any more, since Sonos App wont allow us to use Same Sets Speakers with Diff Groups, i know we can do this " set the surrounds to Full for music in the Settings > Room Settings > (room name) > Surround Settings menu. " still its not the same effect we use to get the with 2 Sonos One with One Sub, Since my profession is software development, i know its not that hard to implement in Software rather buying more speakers for a small apartment like mine.
Seeing that there is a 3rd party app which does many things Sonos finds not useful (one touch grouping) or not in their plans (pairing unlike models of speakers as stereo pairs), and the one thing it has been unable to do is quick bonding/unbonding surround setups and stereo pairs, I would hold off on declaring this to be "not that hard to implement".

Actually, as a software developer myself, I would hold off on declaring anything "not that hard to implement" without knowing anything about the underlying architecture and its corresponding code.
"without knowing anything about the underlying architecture and its corresponding code"- i agree, but "not that hard to implement" for sonos developers, not me 🙂 , because if you can able to add or remove a speakers from an existing group, then why not?..
Adding players to a group or removing them is virtually instantaneous. They simply subscribe to a stream from the 'group coordinator' player. Incidentally this also applies to making/splitting a stereo pair, which is a special kind of group.

Bonding/unbonding home theatre satellites is obviously a more complex process, and it can take a minute or two to execute. The units go into a totally different, quasi-slave mode, switching to a 5GHz connection from the main HT player. Various functions are disabled such as Airplay and, in the case of Amp/Connect:Amp, the external line level inputs/outputs.