Skip to main content

Album art disappeared after Sonos update, my music library is on a WD my cloud mirror and has been for over 5 years using S1 & S2 with no problems but after Sonos update lots of art work was missing Sonos advised me to remove my library and reload it, still lots of art work missing but now lots of albums are indexing wrong ID tags have been perfect for 10 years with Sonos all correct in iTunes and Windows 10 but Sonos splits albums that have been correct for years after speaking to Sonos they can’t help and they don’t know why it is doing it any help please.

Are you using any special characters in the Metadata? Are any albums or tracks missing? SONOS support could tell you how many tracks are in your library. Is this what you expect? is there a difference between the S1 and S2 library view? Go to Folders view and check some of the problem albums. Is anything missing or scrambled here?

Missing artwork could be caused by network lag. The SONOS controllers are very impatient and will skip artwork display if a track does not respond fast enough.

Note, however, Sonos only ‘reads’ those files, and does not ‘write’ to them. 

Thanks for the reply I have removed my library that is stored on my Nas drive from Sonos then put 1 album from my library in to iTunes on a windows 10 pc and all ID tags correct on windows and iTunes, then I used the iTunes folder on the PC with 1 album in it,  added it to Sonos and 2 albums are created 1 has full album name and the other is only half the album name eg. Ministry of sound 80’s Groove (correct) and Ministry of sound 80 (the rest is missing) I have used Sonos and my library for a long time and it only went wrong after an update around November / December.

Is the special character part of the file name too? On the Windows Desktop Controller go to Help → Error Log… and see if anything was logged.

A somewhat over the top Wikipedia article discusses apostrophes. Down near the end of the article is a list of similar looking characters. I wonder if one of the esoteric characters has been substituted for U+0027 (‘) and the music library indexer is objecting. Note that you are not using U+0027 in your quote: “Ministry of sound 80’s Groove”.

In any case I think that it would be a good idea to specifically discuss this with SONOS support because it might get logged and investigated.

I have a 40000+ track library that has work with Sonos for over 10 years I spent a lot of time adding track ID and art work for my entire library, I have tried screen sharing with Sonos and submitted lots of diagnostics but they say they can’t see my library on the diagnostics and I then got an email telling me it was probably my WD nas even though when screen mirroring I used windows 10 to rule out my nas and I have used my WD nas for 10 years I have over £3000 of Sonos speakers and support isn’t good enough.

Have you tried substituting an apostrophe in your example track?

I have tried some other albums and took some screenshots this is iTunes on windows 10 pc all correct 

This is how it is on Sonos 

This is one of the folders 

I am having all sorts of issues with artwork and track playing on S2. Has always been ok for the last ten years. Sometimes the controller shows the song playing as one that is a couple behind the actual song playing. Sometimes the system wil skip songs playing the first few seconds (no network insufficient messages) with "lost contact with Sonos). Meanwhile the queue keeps on happily playing. I am at a loss to know what is going on. I am using Boost and ten speakers, reserved IPS etc. etc. exactly the same as always. Meanwhile Sonopad on an ancient iPad 1 happily shows the correct album art of the song actually playing and updates immediately as the next track plays. Changing to the queue on the controller will result sometimes all the album art populating and other times some of the album art. Closing and restarting the controller will sometimes sort things for a short time and at other times show exactly the same error as before being closed.

I am using a Samsung S10+ on Android 12. I am using an ASUS XT8 Mesh Router with a WD Passport drive connected using SMB1. The playlist has 500 mp3s. Boost is on a different channel to router and the one with the least possibly of interference although as I have said the songs keep playing - the controller just does not keep up!!