Skip to main content

I recently purchased the Sonos app 2nd edition  to play music on my patio speakers.  Unfortunately the amp can only work with the S1 app while everything else I had works on the S2 app.  I’m guessing due to this and not wanting to spend the money for the upgrade, I need to have everyone back on the S1 app.  Anyone know what I need to do to do this?  Do I have to delete the Sonos S2 app and add all of my products to the S1?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  

Hi. That's a slightly puzzling post. The app is free, you don't purchase it. And there are no gen 2 products that aren't compatible with S2.

Do you want to have another go at telling us what products you have?

@John B I may have made it sound more confusing than it is.  Currently I have 6 Sonos Ones, Playbar, Move and a Sonos Connect Amp gen 1 for my outdoor patio speakers (which are not Sonos).    The Playbar, Sonos Ones and Move are all running under the S2 controller because I come to find out that the ConnectAmp is only compatible with the S1 controller and not the S2.  So now I have both of the S1 and S2 controllers downloaded to my phone and I want to combine them to just use one app which I am guessing has to be the S1 controller.   Do I just create a new account and add all of my products from the S2 to the S1 or is there an easier way to transfer everything over? 

@John B sorry the original post should of said Sonos connect amp, not Sonos App.  

And I’m sure it’s a gen 1 because it has a mute button instead of the play pause and the serial number starts with 1404

Hi. Sounds like you are very much on top of this. The link below has a bit on reversing S2 devices. An S1 system is needed, but you have that in the shape of your Connect:Amp. 

I think you just factory reset the S2 speakers and add them to the S1 system.  Better just reset one to begin with and see how it goes. Not sure your playlists etc will survive this.

I have opted to split my system because my only S1-only device is a Connect that drives a high end hifi that I never group with other speakers. Of course your situation may be totally different. 

Hope  that helps. 

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4845?language=en_US

@John B thanks John.  Yes I want to pair those speakers with the rest of the house, so would I need to reset all of the Ones, the move and the Playbar and create a new account on the S1 and add those along with the connect amp?

It is nothing to do with accounts.  You need the Connect:Amp set up as an S1 system as a starting point but you should do that under your existing Sonos account. 

What is the current state of the Connect:Amp? Is it usable as an S1 system yet?

@John B Yes. I updated everything to the S2 a few months ago when the app came out.  I recently got the amp and had to create a new account under the S1 app and added the Amp. It’s the only thing added to the S1 account right now.  I want to add everything else to it so it can play simultaneously.  Not sure how to do that.  

OK. First it seems a bit of a shame to have bought a product that holds your whole system back (although not much difference between S1 and S2 at the moment). Maybe lose that gen 1 C:A in favour of a gen 2 C:A or an Amp at some point and head back to S2?

But for now just power off the otber speakers and uninstall the S2 app.  Power one back on, factory resetting it in tbe process. In the S1 app use 'Add Product ' to add the reset speaker to the S1 system.

If that works, repeat for the other speakers. If not, stop.

My one worry is that you said you created a new account for S1 after getting everything onto S2 but let's see how it goes.

What I mean is that the S1 Connect:Amp was never part of the same 'original' system as the other speakers.  Not sure if that will scupper things.