Question

Mac OSX v10.7.5

• 19 November 2016
  • 9 replies

So what gives? Why can't I add my iTunes library to the Sonos Controller 6.4. The menu "Manage" is all greyed out. Is this yet another limitation to this Play One speaker I have? I currently cannot update the system due to some older software I still must run. Is there anyway around this limitation?
Both Sharing and Firewall settings are set as recommended by Sonos.
Mac 10.7.5
Itunes V12.2
Sonos 6.4

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

You can still use the Mac library, you just have to add it using the iOS app. Enter the Mac library's network share (i.e. \\MACNAME\SHARENAME) when prompted for the library path.
Well, I'm using the desktop app and not the IOS app. The Sonos Mac Controller is supposed to give me the ability to add my iTunes Library under the menu "manage" The "Select a Music Source" show only music services and not my iTunes library.
Your mac os is only partially supported
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/127/~/sonos-system-requirements
John,

I see. My Play speaker is fairly useless unless I use Pandora or Spotify (which is a big limitation) or I update my OS which I cannot do at this time.
Go it. Thanks for the confirmation on my suspicions. Time to sell....
Or borrow an iPhone to add your music library. It will then be available on the Mac controller.
@arnolfoseur. Before you flounce off note that you only need to do the setup with a fully supported controller.
John B. Clarify please. Where do I get a fully supported controller. I have a mac with OSx 10.7.5 I have an iPad mini as well. My iPad mini cannot contain my full library. I want to access my full library. What is my course of action here?
Just an update. I was able to connect the Play One speaker to my iPad Mini after many hoops. Several attempts via wifi and then physically connecting to router. Now, I am trying to ADD my computer's iTunes library. Gone through all the hurdles to allow a connection (firewall, file sharing settings, computer name, magic spells) and the Sono's app still cannot connect. iKat (computer name) refuses connection.

So far I've spent too many hours over the course of two days just trying to get this speaker/app set up so it will simply play my iTunes home library. I've got a JBL bluetooth speaker in the wings that took all of 3 minutes to set up. Honestly trying hard to use this Sono's but this couldn't be more frustrating.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Just an update. I was able to connect the Play One speaker to my iPad Mini after many hoops. Several attempts via wifi and then physically connecting to router. Now, I am trying to ADD my computer's iTunes library. Gone through all the hurdles to allow a connection (firewall, file sharing settings, computer name, magic spells) and the Sono's app still cannot connect. iKat (computer name) refuses connection.

So far I've spent too many hours over the course of two days just trying to get this speaker/app set up so it will simply play my iTunes home library. I've got a JBL bluetooth speaker in the wings that took all of 3 minutes to set up. Honestly trying hard to use this Sono's but this couldn't be more frustrating.

Hi arnolfosaur,

The Sonos app usually does most of the leg-work when setting up a music share on a desktop computer. Since your computer's OS is not supported, the app can't set the share up. It can be a bit tricky getting the sharing settings right so you can add the share into Sonos from an iPhone. In this case it would be best to work with our phone team who can guide you through getting everything working. Please give us a call and reference case number: 161122-003128. You can find our phone number here.