Question

Mac OS 10.6.8 compatibility

• 30 August 2015
  • 68 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

68 replies

Yes and you have now, it's getting you nowhere, so you might as well stop and just do the damn upgrade.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks but I don't need your advice.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Why do you care if I complain? I'm in the minority. How much damage can I do to big bad Sonos? I'm just curious, why do you care? I care because I'm angry. Why do you care?
I don't care bit you're spamming the forum with this crap and it got boring a long time ago. You don't want advice, don't come to a support forum, it's not difficult. You've got your answer, either follow the advice or live with it, either way there's nothing more to be gained by your continued whining, it's a waste of everyone's time.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Ignore me.
This is a rather unfortunate move by SONOS, but it's been a long time coming. Just a month ago I was on the phone with SONOS support for an hour to get my iTunes folder shared with SONOS so that I could, at the very least, access the music on my Mac running 10.6.8. Now even that extremely limited functionality is gone.

Whatever the flawed logic behind the move to disable all SONOS Controller compatibility with 10.6.8, it leaves a sizeable portion of Mac SONOS users without the ability to use their SONOS hardware. Furthermore, I received no notice between having working SONOS software and disabled SONOS software. This is not okay, and it's entirely indefensible.

The argument that 10.6.8 is too old has no merit when you consider that it came out the same year as Windows 7 (itself three versions behind the current Windows), and SONOS supports two versions of Windows OLDER than 7.

Furthermore, the constant drive by tech companies to update software and firmware is neither user-friendly nor necessary for functionality. Security patches and bugfixes are important, but that's not what this update obsession is about.

Personally, I have not changed the OS on my Mac because everything, aside from SONOS this week, works very well. I cannot understand why so many people accept every update pushed to their devices.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would not think that you would lose access to music on your 10.6.8 I know the controller won't work but I wouldn't think it would have any bearing on accessing the music as far as a source of he music.
That depends on how one accesses the music on one's 10.6.8. For instance, I normally use the SONOS Controller software which, as I mentioned, has been disabled. It doesn't matter that, theoretically, the SONOS hardware can still read a shared folder on my Mac if the Controller software on that Mac has been disabled.

Perhaps you know of a third-party program I could use to control the SONOS hardware?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No just that you can use controller on another device but use the Mac as the shared folder. Your comments acted as though you could no longer use the Mac as a share. Yes can't be a controller but yes as a share. You just have to use your phone etc as the controller.
Believe it or not, Chris, I don't have a cell phone. I may be in the minority there (or a complete Luddite to some), but I am confident that I am not in the wrong to expect a two-year-old device to continue functioning for some time yet. The hardware might be fine, the shared folder setup might be sound, but this is all completely moot if I cannot use it.

Forced / planned obsolescence is a very negative aspect of the consumer tech industry, and I am extremely disappointed that SONOS has followed this well-worn route.

Is anyone at SONOS willing to answer the why?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Obviously there is something with Mac 10.6.8 which doesn't allow the new changes to work. Par for the course with Apple.

You will not get a rollback. You are certainly in your rights to complain but you will not ever get a 10.6.8 controller again. Something like the new $50 Amazon Fire tablet would work great as a controller.

But Sonos will not roll back software so you will have to decide what is best for you in future. But your Mac should be able to work fine as a source for your music library.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It is Apple forced obsolescence your running into. Not Sonos. Sonos hasn't made an obsolete device I their existence as far as I know.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thank you, phase_boy.
I appreciate your input, Chris, but for the record, the device that has ceased to function as a result of a software update is the SONOS Play:5. My Mac continues to work as it did before.

So although you are wrong on that point, you are generally right about Apple, a company with a terrible record of, and accelerating obsession with, forced obsolescence.
I'm in the same boat as the original poster - bit of a joke really. Why should it not work?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Because the OS is older and doesnt support code in the controller. happens all the time.
Badge
I am sick about this. My system worked great and I really liked using it, then I thought I would spruce it up and see if there was an upgrade. I upgraded--there was NO warning about compatibility with my system. Then it would not work and I read that you can get the software directly from Sonos. I downloaded the dmg or whatever and upgraded and now my mac is incompatible. I am going to go to every review site and FLAME you because this is a terrible way to run a business. in two minutes the sonos went from a favorite toy to a piece of junk to be thrown away and it is ALL your fault. Every other company used updates to make things easier--not to RUIN them entirely. Shame on you. Fooey on your stupid company. I want the software for ios 10.6.8 back and the fact that you won't give it to me is crazy and stupid. Who does that to customers? Well, a company that finds itself with very accurate reviews detailing the issue as a warning to potential new customers. Good luck with that.
Badge
Because the OS is older and doesnt support code in the controller. happens all the time.

It supported the controller ten minutes ago just fine. Sonos allowed me to update without any warning that it might cause problems. Based on this thread, I'm thinking they had a pretty good idea that it would cause problems. MANY software vendors will post a warning or not install over previous versions if it is not compatible. The problem is not my mac, it's the lack of a link for the older version of the software. Look around--other companies are very accommodating and allow customers to select which version will work.

The only thing I can think of is that the software people think this is a better version without bugs and they would be "embarrassed" to let the lesser version exist for people to use. But that is crap. So please tell me the reasoning behind Sonos not making software available. I am so mad at the useless stupidity of this policy that I am fairly steaming out my ears. Shame on you.
Badge
Why do you care if I complain? I'm in the minority. How much damage can I do to big bad Sonos? I'm just curious, why do you care? I care because I'm angry. Why do you care?

Leave some candid reviews to let people know how satisfied you are with the product. Considering that it is now a paperweight--and pretty ugly as far as paperweights go, I'm thinking you are not super satisfied.
Badge
I don't care bit you're spamming the forum with this crap and it got boring a long time ago. You don't want advice, don't come to a support forum, it's not difficult. You've got your answer, either follow the advice or live with it, either way there's nothing more to be gained by your continued whining, it's a waste of everyone's time.

A forum is a place to discuss things. Are you against free speech? Why can't the guy ask the company for better support? Why can't he say he does not like the suggestions?

Because you don't want to hear it? Then stop reading. To me it isn't spam.
Badge
Obviously there is something with Mac 10.6.8 which doesn't allow the new changes to work. Par for the course with Apple.

You will not get a rollback. You are certainly in your rights to complain but you will not ever get a 10.6.8 controller again. Something like the new $50 Amazon Fire tablet would work great as a controller.

But Sonos will not roll back software so you will have to decide what is best for you in future. But your Mac should be able to work fine as a source for your music library.

That's a pretty mean spirited policy. Stingy and small. Petty, really. Why does Sonos think that they can just shut down my use of the sonos because they feel like it. Will they buy the useless thing back? It's like a car salesman going to the car owner and taking the keys back because the car dealer likes the new version of the car better. It's an idiotic policy when all you have to do it post a link and then five minutes later people's devices will work again. This is going to be more and more important as stooges like me take their simple selves to your upgrades and install them and find their sonos devices don't work any more. It's infuriating and you sound like such a brick when you answer the questions. It's because you have no good reason that you have to shut the conversation down. I expect this comment to be deleted, but please read it first. 😉
Badge

Not true. It worked fine with the software you refuse to release.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

That's a pretty mean spirited policy. Stingy and small. Petty, really. Why does Sonos think that they can just shut down my use of the sonos because they feel like it. Will they buy the useless thing back? It's like a car salesman going to the car owner and taking the keys back because the car dealer likes the new version of the car better. It's an idiotic policy when all you have to do it post a link and then five minutes later people's devices will work again. This is going to be more and more important as stooges like me take their simple selves to your upgrades and install them and find their sonos devices don't work any more. It's infuriating and you sound like such a brick when you answer the questions. It's because you have no good reason that you have to shut the conversation down. I expect this comment to be deleted, but please read it first. ;-)

These forums are moderated pretty lightly. Unless you lob f bombs your comments will remain in perpetuity.

But do please carry on, Andy Murray finished his match earlier than expected so I'm in need of some amusement
Badge
I have already posted my review on Amazon and will share it here when it's live. Who doesn't let people have software they need? It just makes no sense and I went from love to hate in two minutes. And the useless replies from that guy are just not helpful.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Have you spoken to support? I have seen a couple of instances in other threads where people have had software rolled back. I can't promise anything but it is certainly worth a try however fun spleen venting is on here.