Looking for Way to Control Stereo with Sonos App

• 23 April 2022
  • 2 replies

Hello All,

I’m a little surprised this hasn’t appeared to come up.

I have a Sonos Port connected to my AudioLab Stereo Amplifier. I use the 12v trigger to turn on but I’m also looking for a way to control volume on my AudioLab using the Sonos app. Ability to select the proper input (Dig2) would be a bonus and nice to have. I envision this making use of some external device that can read the Sonos commands and output via an IR blaster. 

I tried building an Arduino based interface box that almost worked but my limited programming knowledge and time prevented success. I looked at something like a Harmony, but with that being ended by Logitech it seems like a waste of efforts. Plus I’d really like to use the Sonos app primarily. I don’t necessarily want a smart home interface just for this one function. It seems a waste and semi costly. 

I’m open to any thoughts or solutions. 

Thank you.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If you set the Port’s output to variable volume you can change that, it will be based on your Amp’s volume settings.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3652?language=en_US

Scroll to: Line-Out Levels

For the Amp’s volume, look for a remote control app that runs on your phone/tablet.

Hi Stanley,

Yes. This was an option I considered but as I use my TT and Port about 50/50 I was trying to find a solution that wouldn’t leave me having to adapt volume settings on two different devices/apps. I played around with this a little but it just became too fussy. I was hoping for a way to make use of the “pass through” function that could universally control any amplifier by way of infrared. 

I think I may have to accept that the likelihood of this is far from reasonably feasible. 

Thanks for your input on this.