Skip to main content

Have anyone been experimenting with DJing with the Sonos systems. And I don't mean just hitting a playlist and letting it run. Like activity controling volume, what part of the song is playing, having 2 songs playing on individual speakers at the same time, playing around with treble and bass. I'm trying to see if I can throw in a mixer also to have a legitimate session, now Sonos has told me that running 2 tables(turntables) and then throwing in a mixer will cause to much latency. But I was thinking hardlineing a iPad or something into a speaker and using one of the various DJing app to possibly get some mixing elements into it. 

My System: 2x Play:1 with the physical buttons and a last gen play:3 , I chose the music listening experience instead of TV because  I'm currently a college student also share your own systems to.

KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS, IDEAS , OR SHARE ANY OF YOUR EXPERIMENTS WITH THE SONOS

Listen to those who are saying ‘don’t do it’.

First, none of your Sonos devices have an analog input, so you’d not be able to wire in an iPad. Then, even if you were to add a PLAY:5, or a Port or Amp, all Sonos analog inputs will incur the minimum of a 75 ms delay, and sometimes more than that, depending on the settings for that input.

Sonos makes great whole home streaming music speakers. They don’t make speakers that are good for use as PA, or DJ speakers. The software just can’t give you the zero delay you need to have in order to use them. 

Listen to those who are saying ‘don’t do it’.

First, none of your Sonos devices have an analog input, so you’d not be able to wire in an iPad. Then, even if you were to add a PLAY:5, or a Port or Amp, all Sonos analog inputs will incur the minimum of a 75 ms delay, and sometimes more than that, depending on the settings for that input.

Sonos makes great whole home streaming music speakers. They don’t make speakers that are good for use as PA, or DJ speakers. The software just can’t give you the zero delay you need to have in order to use them. 

Yea I'm aware of me not having inputs. And as for software I approached Sonos on Twitter to see if that possible have anyn softwares their working on and they sent me here. But I image if they do throw something it would be similar to this app call edjing. Which has a "mixer" but as you said we are stuck behind the issues that come in when you throw in outside components. But hopefully they implement something similar to this in the control interface someday 

It would have to require a substantial change in the way their software works, but who knows. I wouldn’t expect that to happen, due to the relatively small size of the demand for such a change, and the amount of effort required, in my mind, to change the most basic aspect of the way Sonos works. But maybe it’s easy. I am not an expert in their code base.

Please find the solution here...I tried connecting dj system on Sonos 5.1 and it works without any glitch or delay.