Skip to main content

Dear Sonos,

You make great speakers, but your app sucks. It doesn’t just suck, it sucks a**. I have loads of gadgets and apps to control them: routers, switches, smart home devices, smart speakers, etc. But never have I seen such a poorly designed app and associated hardware integration. I don’t even know where to start. Installation, adding devices, removing devices, adding services, vanishing speakers, vanishing services, things magically appearing after being absent for days. Honestly, just start from scratch and give us a world class app to go with your world class speakers. It’s not gonna be easy, but it will be worth it in the end. Thanks. 

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

If every Sonos user had the same experience as you with the Sonos app, starting over would make sense. But the majority of users, including myself, haven’t had the same experience. I have 12 Sonos devices throughout my home and the Sonos app works great and is really easy to use. I rarely experience any problems.

Based on your description, the problems you are experiencing are probably the result of your specific network setup.

GS: I appreciate your experience with Sonos, but I don’t appreciate your attempt to explain or justify my experience. You haven’t the faintest idea whether or not my network configuration has anything to do with the Sonos app delivering a poor user experience.

May you receive this with simplicity. 😉

After assuming that the problem must be [ … ] or cannot be e … ] it’s likely you’ll be blindsided.

I suggest that you play the percentages. SONOS requires a more stable network than a simple light switch or video streamer. 

We can offer suggestions if you give us more details about your network and SONOS system configuration. You can also work with SONOS support. They have access to diagnostic details that can uncover network issues.

Interesting… I’ve made no such assumptions. I simply stated a fact. If I need network configuration guidance, I’ll be sure to ask for it. Thanks. 

My opinion about the Sonos app stands. It sucks. Of course I’m sure that many will disagree. That’s the beauty of opinions. 

Interesting… I’ve made no such assumptions. I simply stated a fact. If I need network configuration guidance, I’ll be sure to ask for it. Thanks. 

The assumption you have made is the app is the problem. Keep enjoying your vanishing speakers ;)

The assumption you are making is that I am currently having a problem. Is this a ride that no one can get off of until they agree with you. An app can suck on many levels, as this one does. But don’t worry. You’re not alone. Most app developers and their fanboys are quick to point at networking issues and of course user error and what have you. Only the best app developers strive to continuously improve based on the feedback from their customers. 

But, since you’re focused on vanishing speakers for some reason, let us ask ourselves (probably only a few folks paying any attention to this thread) how many other products vanish off of your network? Take my printer. It’s been reliably attached to my network for more than 5 years. It never vanishes. The same is true of my Ring doorbell and Arlo cameras. They just stay connected and keep working. Echo dot, same thing. LG sound bar with surrounds and sub and Google assistant, never vanish. Only Sonos speakers. Now, is this the Sonos app? It could be. It could also be the network hardware, firmware, or any number of things. The root cause is mot likely unknown, or Sonos would fix it. Sonos are a bit like those folks who always see fault in others instead of taking a look in the mirror. “Let me help you fix your network,” as opposed to “let me take a look at my product.” 

I've not experienced these problems. Good luck in your efforts with Sonos.

What if there is an intermittent hardware issue? This will leave clear tracks in the diagnostic.

The assumption you are making is that I am currently having a problem. Is this a ride that no one can get off of until they agree with you. An app can suck on many levels, as this one does. But don’t worry. You’re not alone. Most app developers and their fanboys are quick to point at networking issues and of course user error and what have you. Only the best app developers strive to continuously improve based on the feedback from their customers. 

But, since you’re focused on vanishing speakers for some reason, let us ask ourselves (probably only a few folks paying any attention to this thread) how many other products vanish off of your network? Take my printer. It’s been reliably attached to my network for more than 5 years. It never vanishes. The same is true of my Ring doorbell and Arlo cameras. They just stay connected and keep working. Echo dot, same thing. LG sound bar with surrounds and sub and Google assistant, never vanish. Only Sonos speakers. Now, is this the Sonos app? It could be. It could also be the network hardware, firmware, or any number of things. The root cause is mot likely unknown, or Sonos would fix it. Sonos are a bit like those folks who always see fault in others instead of taking a look in the mirror. “Let me help you fix your network,” as opposed to “let me take a look at my product.” 

Yawn… it was yourself that first raised the issue of missing speakers.

Excellent point Mr. T., and a “yawn” right back at you, as well as a stretch and a belly scratch, followed by a burp.